Wiring info/diagram for splitting and switching between coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring info/diagram for splitting and switching between coils

I thought there used to be a diagram for this somewhere online but I did a quick search and figured someone here would have a better idea. Can you do this with a single DP/DT switch or do you need 2 switches (1 to split the coil and the other to define which coil)? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Wiring info/diagram for splitting and switching between coils

if i am understanding what you are asking for, you can do it with only one "on-off-on" DPDT mini-toggle ... black to one of the 'on' terminals, red/white together at the 'off' terminal, green at the other 'on' terminal ... at one of the 'on' positions, the screw coil is selected ... at the other 'on' position, the slug coil is selected ... and at the off position, it is a regular humbucker

with a DPDT, you can do two double coil pups ... i did this with my 540s and it works great .. it lets me get inner and outer coil combinations ...

hope this helps
    t4d
    Last edited by tone4days; 07-02-2004, 05:48 PM.
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

For full control, you need a 3-position, SPDT switch. It will have on/off/on handle positions. The black wire goes to the top, green to the bottom, and the red/white combo to the middle. With the switch in the middle, you have normal humbucker operation. Switch up for north coil, switch down for south coil.

This is how I have both the Stag Mags in my Peavey wired. Its worth the effort.

Like this:

(Purple line = white wire.)
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-03-2004, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys I thought it was a simple procedure as you described. Tone4days, in Arties Diagram, is it possible that both pickups green and black wires are hooked to the same post on the DP/DT switch?

For a guitar with 2 humbuckers, would you wire the pickup to this DP/DT switch before it is wired to the 3 way switch?

Thanks again.

Comment

artie's diagram very nicely shows how to do one pickup with an "on-off-on" SPDT ... to do two pickups, you could use two individual SPDT switches or you can one DPDT with one pup on each side of the switch (kinda like i was clumsily trying to describe) ... i am pretty sure that you wouldnt want to wire both pups to a single SPDT or the same side of a DPDT ... i think you wouldnt be able to get each pickup by itself

and yes, you'd wire the pups to the DPDT before the 3 way ...

if you wire one of the pups 'backwards' and flip a magnet in one of the pups, you can have hum cancelling 'inner' and 'outer' combinations with the 3-way in the middle ...

good luck
          cheers
          t4d
          Last edited by tone4days; 07-03-2004, 10:26 AM.
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

T4d, actually you did describe it accurately the first time. I sort of thought you'd need the DP/DT for 2 pickups as both wired the the SP/DT would basically have both pickups on at the same time? Anyways thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
            X