mid single between pearly gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid single between pearly gates?

I'm thinking of putting a set of Pearly gates humbuckers in my Ibanez ES series, but I also need a middle single coil. The guitar has only one volume and tone knob. What would be a good middle pickup in this circumstance?

Also, do the pearly gates seem a good idea for this guitar? The stock pickups are just too muddy. I love the guitar otherwise.
    Jerry - guitars and tennis - enjoy both but my groundstrokes and downstrokes need work...

Re: mid single between pearly gates?

I am not familier with Ibanez model lines but I am familier with pearly gates. pearly gates sound good in guitars with no trem(like les pauls) or vintage trem (like fender strats). they do not sound good in guitars with floyd rose trem cuz a floyd drains volumn so it requires a medium to high output pickup like a demon or c5 or full shred. pearly gates bridge is 6.5 resinant peak meaning bright and its distortion tone rips with screaming harmonics but its a vintage output meaning it is not as hot(think compressed) therefore you get alot more tone (imo) out of it. I use a pearly gates plus pickup meaning its got an a5 magnet instead of normal a2 mag on standered pearly. to me, I would use a standered noisless single coil in middle cuz it wont be too hot and its bright tone will realy match up very well with pearly gates humbuckers. you should get great tone from that combo. stay away from hot noisless single coils as they are not as bright and dont sound as good and may conflict with pearly gate humbucker out put and sound qualities. if your guitar has a floyd try demon bridge, full shred neck, and unfortionatly hotter sing noisless wich still sound ok but not nearly as sweet and sparkling as a standered output noiseless. good luck

Comment

Thanks for the reply. This guitar doesn't have a trem. When you say "standard noiseless single coil" are any of the Duncan models appropriate? One thing I didn't know is if I need a higher resistance single than the buckers or how close does it need to be?
      Jerry - guitars and tennis - enjoy both but my groundstrokes and downstrokes need work...

Comment

Alnico II Pro

Comment

i always say that people should put cool rails in the middle of hsh because it balances out the output its good clean and distorted and its silent.
          Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
          The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Another vote for the Alnico II Pro single.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
            X