X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sigh* pups again =/

so, i've not yet fully decided (again) on the pup combo =P
    what i want the guitar to sound.. well, let me describe it like this:
    if a JB is like a knife in a street fight, i want a baseball bat.. and none of that cheap aluminium stuff, i want a real massive old school wooden bat.

a pup with solid lows, and a tight bottom end, for real chunky palm muting, sweet full mids for double harmonies and a splash of heights to top the bugger off so it doesnt sound too dark.

am i again one of those that's describing the Custom? being a PAF voiced pup is always a plus, or should i go for the distortion? C5 maybe? i'm not a big fan of alnico2 magnets so i dont know about he CC

the pup will reside in an alder body, bolted on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. bridge is either a floyd (if i go for the KE3/DX10D) or string-through body (if i opt for the KVX10)

well, i WOULD go for the fookin hails rails if they were in production already

*edit*
    forgot to mention.. it'll be used for metal (duh ) and i want high output. hope that helps a bit more
    Last edited by Davey; 07-03-2004, 12:25 PM.

Re: *sigh* pups again =/

I'm not much an expert but my ibanez is loaded with da distotion pups and I get the perfect sound for hard, beefy metal riffs. I'm into metal too and I'm happy with em'. I can't give ya all the tech info like some of the guys here lol but I'm jus commenting from experience.

Comment

hmm.. i dont think it was a good idea to ask this on the evening before july 4th >.< now i'll have to wait till tuesday for my answer.. not that i dont have the time, but i'd like to know what i'm in for =P

Comment

anyone?

Comment

I also have a distortion and it is very chunky. I notice a major difference in standard tuning. To my ears, a hard Power chord has so much chunk to it. Haven't heard much else like it.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with a Duncan Distortion.
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

In an alder body you might get to bright with a Distortion, the lows are good but the high end can cause an EQ nightmare. It will depend on what sounds you prefer. I like the Custom as it is thick and chunky with a more controlable high end, it is much more versatile as well. For heavier modern sounds I would probably go with the Distortion and roll the treble back on the amp but take my advise with a grain of salt as I play 70's and 80's and favor a more traditional sound.

Comment

i like more vintage tones as they go. my fav era to play is 80's metal, but i like to go overkill with the distortion sometimes and do stuff like vader or similar. i need chunky stuff. i'm torn between the distortion and the custom.
              as i'll have a '59 in the neck spot, EQing will be quite easy with the custom cos they both lean to the bassy side, where the dee dee is something like a JB with more riff oomph and fullness and right now finding the sweet spot where both the 59 and JB sound great is quite a challenge. roling down the tone makes the JB sound a bit too spongy for my taste.

i'd have to sit down, and get my hands on guitars with the dee dee and custom and play till my fingers bleed, then say which one i want... but that will never happen =P

Comment

I like the Custom when I'm feeling aggressive.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I think you might try a DD, because I know Metallica used a DD/59 combo on their early recordings. So that would most likely steer you to 80's metal
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

the distortion it is.. i tried the dxr10 jackson at the store today with a digitech pedal called heavy metal or something like that. clean it's got that spark that i like and when through the amps gain channel (which was a stinger 75.. not all that good, i'd like to hear more volume from a 75W amp) it was pretty cool, but through the pedal it was OMG.. thick, full, heavy (it's prolly more the pedal than the pup (which is a duncan designed distortion.. well, if the DD is anything like this i'm in heaven lol) it compresses the tone into oblivion and back. now i need another pedal for more bluesy things lol.. i might exchange the smash box for this digitech one.. and then get a tube screamer

now i just need the guitar and order the pup

btw, does anybody have clips of the DD under HIGH gain? without other guitars, just the guitar and maybe drums

Comment

Working...
                    X