Okay, DiMarzio SD/PAF-Pro vs. SD JB/Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, DiMarzio SD/PAF-Pro vs. SD JB/Jazz

I have two Dean Cadillac Selects (Les Paul type guitars). In the first, a Cherry Sunburst with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a DiMarzio PAF-Pro in the neck. Sounds awesome.

Despite nine other guitars with various other pups, this has been my No. 1.

Now, in the other (an Amberburst Caddy Select) I finally got my Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck ( which took ten weeks because I ordered a zebra/reverse zebra color combination).

The idea was that these two guitars would compliment each other.

I could never have been more wrong. These two pickup combinations are like night and day. They both have a great sound, but they are extremely different.

The DiMarzios live up to their name and have a great tone.

The SD's have an entirely different tone which is not very comparable at all. The Jazz has a very very smooth slightly bassy tone which is awesome. The JB has a very very trebbly tone which is a lot like a SD Pearly Gates. Not a bad pickup by any means, but just not what I expected. It definitely rocks, but these two guitars NOW sound amost as different as a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Telecaster.

Very interesting and quite different considering the descriptions of the SD pickups that I have heard on the Duncan forum thus far.

This is not a criticism of the Duncan pickups. I love their sound. The middle position where the JB and the Jazz are combined is especially sweet. They are every bit as loved in my lineup as the DiMarzios. This is just an observation that the two different brands are as different as night and day.
Working...
X