Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB - The most versatile pickup ever!

Hi all,

This probably isn't news to many who has discovered the JB's extreme versatility.

Today, I took a day off from work just so that I can spend the whole day wailing on my JB-rigged Les Paul through the trusty JCM800.

What worked for me was to set the JB not too close to the pickup. I found a sweet spot at 3.75/32" (Low E) and 3.5/32" (High E).

Now, the pickup height alone isn't enough to truely unleash the monstrous versatility hidden within... we need this two inventions called the Volume Knob and Tone Knob (really, how often do we use it?!?!?). Now with the JB, I truely appreciate the 2 volume/2 tone configuration of the Les Paul.

You want Page or Clapton approved PAF-ish tones, just roll back the volume and tone a tad (around 7~8 is fine), instant hollow, honky tones which PAF-clones like the Antiquity are famous for.

You want a little more aggression, but not losing the creamy side of things? Just crank up the tone knob. Fantastic for Van Halen stuff.

All-Out Metal? Oh yeah!!! Just crank everything to 10, and hear the JB scream non-stop harmonics with balls.

It's really amazing how the JB reacts to volume and tone knob variations extremely well. So for those folks that find the JB too harsh, too high-middy, etc., it's really time to work on those knob thingys on your guitar...

Happy rawking folks!

GB

Re: JB - The most versatile pickup ever!

Very good, im just trying to decide between a CC and a JB for my eventual pickup change in my new les paul...and this makes me lean towards a JB...but still not sure.
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

Sorry, that was a bit of a hijak, but great news about that versatility, thats exactly what people like me want in a bridge pickup.

Great to hear its goin good, ive got a JB in my jackson and its fantastic too!

Another vote for the JB
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

Great review, Gunbucker. I assume, in your 3rd sentence, you mean " . . . not too close to the strings."

Comment

Young Angus, no probs. I had the CC before. It's one creamy pickup, and does the 80's stuff very well. I used it in my Ibanez RG, thinking I need a fat pickup to counter the thin-sounding lopro-edge trem. However, I have to point out that even on the bolt-on Ibanez, the mahogany body didn't bode too well with the CC, way too much mids.

Artie, my bad, LOL! Yes, strings indeed.

Comment

So what would you say about the CC vs the JB in your experience, i want something really creamy and high output so it can get all shreddy like a JB and get heaps of thick harmonics easily, but just how middy is it compared to the JB?
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

Hey that's a very interesting one! I was planning to remove the JB in my LP, but now I might give it a second chance!
              Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Young Angus, the CC, at least to my ears, was noticeably middy. Mind you, this is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you intend to play Van Halen inspired runs. I think you might be pleased with the CC for your needs.

Thames, give it one more shot buddy! Start with the JB low (4/32" on both sides). From there, play it clean as well as with your preferred amount of gain, and move it up little by little. At a certain point, you most likely will experience your "Gotcha!" moment.

Comment

Nice overview on the JB! I share your sentiments, even though only one of my guitars has a JB ...
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I'm always rideing the tone and volume knobs on my guitars. There's so many possibilities to open up when doing so.

Have you tried the JB split yet? I put a split on my guitar and it gives some nice lower gain stuff. Mind you, split it still sounds like a JB, and sounds nothing like a single coil, but if all your after is a lower output version of a JB, it's great.

Once these strings wear out, I'm installing Series/Parallel/Split and phase switches, just to see what happens.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Hey. Just spent some time last evening with the JB in my Edwards. You're right and I've changed my mind. Im gonna keep it there!
                      Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Hi Thames, glad it worked out for you.

GB

Comment

I've always thought about trying the JB but not sure if it would be right for my guitar, Right now I have a Custom 5 in the Bridge of my PRS McCarty which is very full sounding for a Vintage type pup on steroids.

Do you think a JB would sound descent in a gutar that has a Mahogany Body with Maple Cap!

Comment

Working...
                          X