TBX tone control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBX tone control?

Hey guys, has anyone tried a Fender TBX tone control? Do you like it better than a standard tone control, and can I use it as a master tone control for all three pickups? I'm thinking about wiring up my Strat project with master volume and tone controls, and then using the third knob to control a Fishman TSV piezo pickup. It sounds like the TBX pot gives you more control over the tone than a standard tone pot, but I've never played a guitar that had one of these installed. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: TBX tone control?

AS I heard it, the TBX tone control works as a normal tone control from 1-8, at the end of the rotation, it goes off the circuit (no high going to ground) so that it sounds like there is no pot in the circuit, giving you a brighter tone.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Hm, that sounds more like Fenders Delta system? For me a TBX is a staggered tone pot, which means a normal tonepot (250k) from 1 to 5, but from 5 to 10 it goes over to 1 meg tonepot. It means that it can be used a normal tonepot, putting it at 5. Sometimes there is a need for more treble, especially the 2 and 4 positions some treble will help up the quacks, so one can pull it up to 7 or 8. At 10 it gives a ice pick tone. I never use that much treble.

Comment

Sorry, I always miss some words. I try again:

Hm, that sounds more like Fenders Delta system? For me a TBX is a staggered tone pot, which means a normal tonepot (250k) from 1 to 5, but from 5 to 10 it goes over to 1 meg tonepot. It means that it can be used as a normal tonepot, when putting it at 5. Sometimes there is a need for more treble, especially in the 2 and 4 positions some treble will help up the quacks, so one can pull it up to 7 or 8. At 10 it gives a ice pick tone. I never use that much treble.

Comment

I have TBX pots in my Strat. From 1-4 they act as a normal tone pot, at 5 there's a notch and the pots are somehow turned off, so there's no bleed to ground, and from 6-10 they somehow effect the resonant peak which gives it more of a trebly sound.

Atleast, that's how it was explained to me.

I generally run my at 5 all of the time. On the odd occasion that I find my tone isn't punchy enough, I'll turn it up to around 7-8.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Honestly, the stock wiring of the TBX control made little difference to me. You might want to try this wiring mod...

(Copy and paste link into browser)

Comment

You're right. Brain fart!

I got my systems mixed up.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

IRRC Steve Aloha did a mod using a TBX pot that from 5 down to 1 cut treble ("normal" tone), and from 5 up to 10 cut bass. Kent S. has worked with these circuits a lot and hopefully will stop by.

This site has some useful info on TBX controls. Probably worth while to chase down that thread "TBX Tone Control Mods" on the FDP so that you can chase the links there.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I really like the G&L ASAT style layout with separate treble cut & bass cut knobs (instead of 2 tone knobs) on a strat-style guitar. Maybe you could use concentric pots for that so it only uses one hole in the pickguard?

Chip
                Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

That reminds me, I owe Kent S a pick of my control cavity.......
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Maybe with a mod the TBX pot could be useful ?? But i find the one
                    I installed in my Strat to be totally useless. Turn it to the right i get
                    total shrillness. To bright for even playing funk like chords. Turn it
                    all the way to the left I get complete Mud. If that's suposed to sound
                    like woman Tone....THAN THAT'S ONE BIG WOMAN!!
                    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

i have one guitar with a tbx tone pot, yes you can use it for a master tone.

it is a stacked pot, 250k from 1-5 and 1 meg from 6-10. which means that at 5 its where a normal strat tone would be, turn it up more and you get more top end. it can get overly bright but i think it has its applications.
                      i use it with the clapton boost and especially on the neck pup with lots of boost its nice to open up the top end some.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
                        IRRC Steve Aloha did a mod using a TBX pot that from 5 down to 1 cut treble ("normal" tone), and from 5 up to 10 cut bass. Kent S. has worked with these circuits a lot and hopefully will stop by.

Chip
                        Yeah, Steve's site is where I got his and doc's mod (whoever doc is ...), to answer Ryan's query though, yeah they do offer a bit more control over your tone ...the 250k-A section goes no-load at 5 and up; and the 1Meg-L section is a straight jumper from the CCW to W up to 5 and then starts to increase it's resistance up to a it's maximum (1Meg). I like Ahola's version better than Fender's variable load design, as with the stock tbx you are really putting a load on your pups and then reducing it with the control at max. (Figure 82k in parallel with whatever volume pot you are using as your worst case load; then 1Meg+82k in parallel with that pot as the best case scenario).
                        The LPF/HPF is a much better way to go (IMO), you pick whatever value cap you want from the LPF side, and then whatever you want for the HPF side, Peavey used the same type of layout (although not the same control) on their Impact I & II guitars that they made briefly, worked very well.
                        There are of course other options that you can explore with it as well, as it does give you a bit more flexiblity.
                        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                          That reminds me, I owe Kent S a pick of my control cavity.......
                          ......Yes, ...you do ....
                          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                          X