Utimate HB pair for blues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utimate HB pair for blues?

I will buy a semi-hollow guitar soon, and I want a pair or humbuckers especially for blues. What would you consider the best pair for this?

I have to tell you in advance that I am not a fan of the Pearly Gates, which did not work for me in my LP type guitar, so I guess it'll be even worst in a maple semi-hollow body guitar.

I'm thinking about CC bridge and AIIPro neck. Sounds good? Or maybe a pair of AIIPro... I heard the Seth Lover are nice also, but there a little too expensive.

What's your take on this? I like fat tone for blues...

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Re: Utimate HB pair for blues?

What kind of amp are you using? What blues sound are you looking for?

To be really fat, I'd go CC/APHn (I have them in my Carvin for smooth distortion sounds).

The Seth's really have a lot of mojo in a semi, though they are a bit more expensive. I had a set in my Sheraton that rocked, but I'm trying a Phat Cat at the bridge of that axe now.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I don't have quite so much experience with p'ups as most on this forum, but I love the set of 59's that Lew, (LewsGuitars), turned me on to. Mine are in a solid-body, Strat style guitar, but they'll be going into a Peavey JF-1 semi-hollow body sometime in the next few weeks.

I mainly use either the neck by itself, or for a bit richer tone, the two together. I still haven't got the bridge dialed in properly yet, but since they're going into a different guitar shortly, I'm not too concerned about it.

They have that great smooth, yet full sound, without any harshness.

Comment

You're about right. Either an APH-1 set or a CC/APH-1 combo.

While Seths normally don't have squeeling issues, remember that you would in fact be putting unpotted pups in a hollowbody guitar (and that could cause feedback).

Might consider putting some covers on the CC/APH-1 as well, that will warm them up even more.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

True, the Seth's might feedback, but when they do, it's usable feedback.

Comment

I think the CC may be a little to hot for blues ?? But it depends alot on
            the amp your useing and playing style. My hollow body is setup with a
            59er in the bridge and APH-II in the neck. I was just playing it today
            into my Princeton Reverb. With the Vol. on 5 I was getting major crunch !!
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I don't know anything about this pup, but what about the Blues Saraceno model?? lol the name says it all to me...
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

It's Blues Saraceno's signature model. Made for Floyd-equipped axes. It's a medium/high output humbucker that fattens thin sounding axes with floating trems.

Comment

Hey Sly
                  I put a set of seths in my 335 style washburn they soond
                  they sound amazing.
                  Check out tips Marin has some great sounding clips with Seths in a 335
                  His Grace is Amazing

Comment

A set of APH-1's will do the trick.

Comment

My Heritage 535 Special came with Antiquities - essentially aged Seth Lovers from what I understand. For once, I have no desire to fool with replacing the pups on a guitar - they are great for blues & classic rock (depending upon amp, pedals, etc. oh, and your hands).

That said, the CC/APH-1 combo should be cool too - I just don't have direct experience with either pickup in a semi-hollow guitar.

Chip
                      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Thanks to all... I've heard a clip with Seths in an Epiphone Dot and the sound was amazing... as much as their price Maybe I'll wait a little longer and buy a pair of Seths. I'm also afraid the CC may be a little hot.

My amp is currently a Tech 21 Trademarke 10, amazing little amp that allows me to have very good Fender, Marshall and Mesa sounds.

I'll keep you posted on my choice... thanks again for the various comments.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
                        Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to put Seths in a 335 style guitar for blues. Blues players do not use heaps of gain, and you shouldn't have any trouble with feedback. They also sound amazing.

Incidentally, Blues Saraceno is not a blues player.
                          Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

my advise is to save up and get the seths. they sound amazing in a hollowbody and lay down blues tones with authority

Comment

I have some Seths in a chambered tele and even at loud levels, feedback is not a problem. Of course, I don't use a Marshall...but the volume does get on the loud side! I can get very musical, controlled feedback by getting closer to the amp and finding the sweet spot however. The only time I had an inkling of a problem was running a 69 Fuzz into a Vox Valve Tone. Even then, it was controlable. And the tone...oh man, the tone....it was a sweet ride. More of the Trower, Hendrix school of blues with that setup, but it still worked well. For most blues styles, the Seths are hard to beat.....especially in a semi. If you can save $300 bones however, do yourself a favor and get a set of Jason Lollars Imperial Humbuckers. One of the few pickups out there that are head and shoulders above other offerings. Expensive, but well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X