anyone tried Hotrails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone tried Hotrails?

any opinions on the Hotrails pickups? i was wondering how they would sound in the neck and middle positions of a poplar body with maybe a JB at the bridge. classic rock to heavey metal being the intended use of the guitar.

I had one in the bridge position of my old strat wannabe...talk about a change in sound from the single coil! it sounded really good...an old guitar teacher of mine (about 10 years ago) used to use one even if he had a traditional humbucker space open..

not sure how it would sound in the neck or middle, but it's a really hot pickup..would probably sound great in the neck as well
    Splawn QR
    Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
    Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
    George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
    My Gear Pix
    My SPLAWN Clips
    My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

1 thing to keep it mind is that it's very high output.

In the bridge - 16.9 k

In the neck - 10.8k

I have a bridge version, and theres practically no clean tone you can get from it. Even on clean its already overdriving. But when it comes to distortion and pinch harmonics its really thick (beefs up your bridge position like crazy).

In the neck with 10.8k resistance, you probably would get some cleans... I'd probably go for a couple of vintage rails. Maybe a couple of classic stacks with a JBJr.
      my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
      A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

i just installed a hot rails in the neck of a kids fat strat and it sounde pretty good. big and warm with strong output but not too over the top to get a good clean sound

Comment

i used to have one in a tele...man that thing rocked!!!

when i get another tele...i'm definitely putting one in the bridge...and yeah, it doesn't take much to break it up...!?

it is hot...you gotta be a little careful with what you put it with, you don't want it to overpower the other pups...but you can adjust the height and stuff to compensate a little...!?
          Originally posted by jeremy
          God hates bad guitar tone
          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

(As I said in the old forum)
            "In my completely unbiased opinion, I think the HR would work well in the bridge or neck positions."

HR--CR--HR
            <---------------------
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I think they're a tad midrangey in the bridge, but I really like them in the neck pos. since they balance well with a fullsize humbucker.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                I think they're a tad midrangey in the bridge, but I really like them in the neck pos. since they balance well with a fullsize humbucker.
                which humbucker do you think would be a good match? and how about a cool rails or vintage rails for the middle?

Comment

I've got one in the bridge position of my Tele (with a Duncan Classic Strat Stack in the middle, and a Lace Tele neck pickup in the neck.)

I love this thing in the bridge with one caveat...I wouldn't use it without a series/parallel switch. While the series tone is a great one trick pony, the parallel tone gets it back into Fender territory.

The series tone is a GREAT distortion tone, being wonderfully voiced and focused. All distortions, be they amp or effect are driven great with the HR. But it is very high output and the clean tone is limited. Mixed with the other pickups, the output is tamed. In parallel though, the output drops to match well with the other pickups and it becomes clear and fairly bright...though not ever strident.

To wire this pickup in without series/parallel capability is to miss out on half of it's potential.
                  Swami Rabinowicz

Comment

My Rock Legend has a JB in the bridge and 2 hot rails. The pickups are actually very warm-sounding, in my opinion. I like 'em, but it gets a little tubby.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I have used the Hot Rails for over 11 years. It is one of the best rock, Strat bridge pickups ever made. Combine it with a Vintage Pro-Co Rat and you will be in rock heaven.
                      Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and try one out! Remeber SD has an excellent return exchange policy(21 day) if your not satisfied with the pickup. I'm really digging the hot rail(16.5K) I put in the neck slot of my Jackson SL1. I can work with the muddyness on the wound 5 and 6 strings, that doesnt concern me. The payoff is the smooth singing lead tones you get up the neck...sustain for days! And no voulume drop when switching from the bridge. But if you want any cleans from your neck PU, you may want to try the neck(10K) version.
                        Jackson DK1,(stock),Robin Medley Exotic Top(RG Muy Grand,b, Vin.Tall boy n), Robin Medley 2(A2Pn, XL500b), Gibson LP Classic(PG set),, ADA MP1(Mod 4) , Mesa 20\20, AxeFX...GenzBenz cabs...

Comment

Working...
                        X