Noise Factor, APS-1 or APTL-1 vs Antiquity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Factor, APS-1 or APTL-1 vs Antiquity

Since the Antiquity isn't wax potted will it be a little more noisy than an Alnico Pro? They're both vintage style single coils so I realize that neither will be as quiet as a humbucker but I was wondering if there was a difference.

From the sound clips on Curly's site it seems that the Antiquity is a bit more dynamic and articulate, just a little more mojo than the APS but other than that they sound very similar. Its hard to tell for sure because the song clips of the 2 different pickups were recorded using different guitars and different amps so its hard to do a true comparison. I can't decide which of these pups I would like best. The noise factor, if there is one, might help me decide between the two. The price difference might also be a factor for some.

Re: Noise Factor, APS-1 or APTL-1 vs Antiquity

I Use the SSL1s,APS1's,and the Texas Hots..I don't hear more noise with one in the series over the other 2....The Antiquity pickups just have this openess and sweetness and tone that you hear each and everytime you play through them...I'm not saying the SSL and the APS pickups aren't good(They're very good)but the Antiquities are absolutely great! You just know as soon as you use these Antiquities that you really have about the best you're gonna get...Worth every bit of the extra money....Contact Lew on the Antiquities...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks Strat Deluxer.

Comment

I didn't see any Antiquity pickups listed on Lew's site. The only Tele pups I saw were Broadcasters and 5-2's.

Comment

Originally posted by Twang Man
          I didn't see any Antiquity pickups listed on Lew's site. The only Tele pups I saw were Broadcasters and 5-2's.
          Shoot Lew an IM or an e mail....he doesn't list alot of the pickups,but he has most if not all of what you'd want..

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

your comments on my clips are pretty perceptive ... you're correct, the Ants are a little more articulate, more complex, and have more mojo from the minute you open the box
            Actually, I attribute the mojo to the hand winding, plus the care that goes into the aging process.

As John said, noise is not a factor between the two (or the other vintage type strat pups).

I think of the Antiquities as an "ultimate" vintage strat pickup, but I have no problem recommending the APS's, because they are wonderful, too. There are some players here who are very happly with APS's and a Twangbanger in the bridge.
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Working...
            X