No announcement yet.

Pickup Lead Length after installation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Lead Length after installation.

I've always wondered if there's any difference in tone or responsiveness by leaving the pickup leads longer than needed, after installation.
    Some people cut them to the exact length needed. Some people leave over a foot, to retain resale value. I tend to be somewhere in between, leaving a little slack, so it can still be installed in any guitar.

If you measure the resistance of a wire that's 5 inches long and one that's 12 inches, you probably won't even see a difference, so why would people think that a shorter lead is better than one that's the same length it was when purchased?

Anyone want to shed some light on this?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Pickup Lead Length after installation.

i cut mine short unless i know its going to end up residing in a different guitar or i might selling it in the future. i dont do it cause i thinks it sounds any different just that it looks cleaner in the control cavity and its easier to work with less crap in the way

Comment

I leave them full length, but tidy them up by wrapping the excess lead up and putting a cable tie around it.

I get suspicious when people say that an extra inch or two of pickup cable affects the sound - for me, the fact that I have anything from about 15 feet to about 35 feet of cable between the guitars output jack and the front of the amp, about 20 feet of cable in the effects loop, then about 10 feet of speaker cable between the head and the cab renders a couple of extra inches of wire on the pickup somewhat unimportant.

Fair play to anyone who thinks that trimming the lead short, using one kind of solder in preference to another etc affects their tone - they must have better ears than I, because I don't hear it I see more difference in how often the strings are changed. But that's just my ears.

Comment

I May cut a bit of lead length off,but I Make sure to leave enough lead in case I Pull the pickup and put it into another axe...I also wrap or wire tie my wires to look neat and tidy within the cavity..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Tidiness is next to Tone-Godliness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
            Tidiness is next to Tone-Godliness!!!

Bobby...You got that right buddy!
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
            X