banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tone/sound difference will I notice between..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tone/sound difference will I notice between..

hey guys,
    I read somewhere that the epiphone pickup that I have in the bridge is 16k alnico... Not sure if thats correct info or not, but anyways..

What different would there be between a 16k alnico and a 14k Ceramic (Duncan Custom)???

Any info would help.

thanks,
    Duke
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

My guess is that it will be substantial. I'm a little dubious about a stock Epiphone HB having a resistance of 16k ohms. An ohmeter would answer that.

My guess is that the sound would be very different. Even within each brand, there is a similar sound, so to an extent, duncans sound like dduncans, dimarzios sound like dimarzios, gibsons sound like gibsons, etc. Many people with Epiphones have replaced their pickups with aftermarket pickups. I played a stock Epi Les Paul and thought it sounded pretty good, some others I didn't think so highly of.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcorey
      My guess is that it will be substantial. I'm a little dubious about a stock Epiphone HB having a resistance of 16k ohms. An ohmeter would answer that.

My guess is that the sound would be very different. Even within each brand, there is a similar sound, so to an extent, duncans sound like dduncans, dimarzios sound like dimarzios, gibsons sound like gibsons, etc. Many people with Epiphones have replaced their pickups with aftermarket pickups. I played a stock Epi Les Paul and thought it sounded pretty good, some others I didn't think so highly of.
      Yeah.. I am not sure either about the Stock Epiphone Pickup being 16k. How do I check?? Can I use a Multi-meter??

Also, I think the stock pickups in there are good. I mean, I've been using them for about 4 years now and through I'd change the bridge to a Duncan Custom or Demon when I have the cash as they will most likely sound alot better then stock bridge pickup.

Duke
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Yes, you can test it by unconnecting the leads and using a multimeter.

Comment

I'm not sure what pickups the Epis come with, but the 498T is a ~14k+ alnico V pickup so anything is possible.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

You can check without disconnecting the pickups. Just plug a cord into the jack, turn the controls up and measure the resistance at the end of the cord. Granted, you will be measuring the parallelled resistance of the controls, but being in the 500k range, it will make little difference.
            Swami Rabinowicz

Comment

Working...
            X