banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation help - ground green or black wire? JB/Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation help - ground green or black wire? JB/Custom?

I have a Schecter 006 Elite (http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dprod...ries_index.htm - the schematic is totally wrong), and I'm replacing the Duncan Designed bridge pickup but having trouble deciding between the Custom (SH5) or the JB (SH4); leaning toward the SH5 for now because I'd rather have a hot bassy pickup and leave the rest to my amp configuration (boogie Mark IV). Feel free to suggest, I'm having so much trouble deciding; I'd like a hot pickup with lots of low, high, and sustain.

Currently I have 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers, one bridge, one neck, along with a 3 toggle switch (bridge, both, neck). The current bridge pickup does have the red and white wires soldered together on the tone pot; however, the green doesn't look grounded, it's soldered to the toggle switch! The black and bare seem to be grounded together on the back of the tone pot.

Given that, how should I install my new pickup? I assume red and white will be the same (?), but what about the green and black? All instructions I see say to ground the green, in which case I assume I'd solder the black to the toggle switch. But I'm not sure what to do. If the answer is "try and see," what indication will I get that it's right or wrong?

Thanks so much for any help,

-Jay

P.S. I also hope leaving the duncan designed NECK humbucker in won't cause any problems with the new bridge pickup, at least until I replace it...

Re: Installation help - ground green or black wire? JB/Custom?

Originally posted by jmerox
    I have a Schecter 006 Elite (http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dprod...ries_index.htm - the schematic is totally wrong), and I'm replacing the Duncan Designed bridge pickup but having trouble deciding between the Custom (SH5) or the JB (SH4); leaning toward the SH5 for now because I'd rather have a hot bassy pickup and leave the rest to my amp configuration (boogie Mark IV). Feel free to suggest, I'm having so much trouble deciding; I'd like a hot pickup with lots of low, high, and sustain.

Currently I have 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers, one bridge, one neck, along with a 3 toggle switch (bridge, both, neck). The current bridge pickup does have the red and white wires soldered together on the tone pot; however, the green doesn't look grounded, it's soldered to the toggle switch! The black and bare seem to be grounded together on the back of the tone pot.

Given that, how should I install my new pickup? I assume red and white will be the same (?), but what about the green and black? All instructions I see say to ground the green, in which case I assume I'd solder the black to the toggle switch. But I'm not sure what to do. If the answer is "try and see," what indication will I get that it's right or wrong?

Thanks so much for any help,

-Jay

P.S. I also hope leaving the duncan designed NECK humbucker in won't cause any problems with the new bridge pickup, at least until I replace it...
    I'd go with the Custom. The color codes of the stock pickups are probably different, with the new pickup solder the white and red leads together and insulate, then, solder the black lead to the toggle and the green to the ground. If the guitar hums excessively after you install the pickups, switch the black and green leads.

By the way, cool amp!

Comment

I'd go C5.....

As for the wires....what should be happening is that when you select both humbuckers (middle pos 3 way switch) the pups should be out of phase. My Dean came that way, only with the neck pup wired with the green as the hot.

If you want normal operations.....green and bare to ground, red and white soldered together and taped off and black to hot.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

For some reason the Korean guitar makers use the green as hot and the black as ground. I'd suggest wiring the new pickup green to hot just like the stock pickup. After you get the USA SD for the neck as well you can either wire it up green hot, or you can rewire the bridge black to hot.

The black is the start wire for the stud bobbin and the green is the start wire for the screw bobbin. As long as both pickups are wired the same you should notice no difference in tone to speak of. The difference is that if you split a green/hot pickup the screw bobbin stays in the circuit instead of the stud bobbin.

If you do run into phase problems, switch the green and black lead connections on one pickup.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Working...
        X