I've had it with my Strat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had it with my Strat!

I've got an alder-bodied American Strat with a rosewood fretboard and 3 (!) full sized humbuckers and I'm looking for a different sound now. As opposed to all humbuckers and high output madness, I want my traditional, 3 single-coil strat back! There's not enough versatility with 3 full sized hummers and positions 2 and 4 have nothing to offer. Eh, it was an experiment anyway.

So I want to transform my Strat into a tone machine. Something that has a beefed up sound but still retains that vintage Strat sound. My all-time favorite Strat tones have got to be (in order) those of Dave Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, and of course Jimi Hendrix. I was wondering if there were any pickups that could cover those tones ... especially that Dave Gilmour, pre-EMG sound. I absolutely love his tone on every album from Atom Heart Mother to The Wall but I just don't think the EMG SA's can beat those tones. Blackmore's tone is a close second, and I know there's word about him using Quarter Pounders.

Soooooooo guys, what pickups would you suggest for this kind of tone?

Re: I've had it with my Strat!

Antiquity Texas Hots in the neck and middle and an Antiquity Custom bridge will get you all of the tone you can handle.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The SSL-1's are a good choice for vinage Strat tones. I would try that in the neck, along with an Alnic II Pro in the middle. Maybe try the Texas Antiquity in the bridge.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

if you've really have it with that strat, you can send it my way, I'll take care of it real good.... wahahaha!

Did you think of coil splitting? You could a 3hb/3sc guitar... like... put three little toggle switches in between the pickups and your selector switch.
        You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Be the second player to have my setup. SSL-5 Neck SSL-1 mid Custom 5 Bridge (wired in series/split parallel with mini toggle) Take a look at mine in my avatar and my profile. It looks black but it's really midnight wine and it sounds awesome. I'm working on getting some samples here soon.

Comment

dude, i would kill for a HHH strat!!! that'd be ****ing awesome!!! you could put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge, a Dimarzio Super D in the mid and a '59 in the neck. that'd be rad.

sorry i didnt have any input to.....put in.
            :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Comment

For Gilmour tone or Blackmore. I'd go with a APS-II in the neck.
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Full set of the Antiquity Texas hots is pretty hard to beat..

John
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                  Full set of the Antiquity Texas hots is pretty hard to beat..

John
                  I agree with John.
                  For vintage sound, Antiquity's rule.

-Bob

Comment

Thanks guys. I think probably the coil splitting idea is a good thing to try before I plunk down a bunch of money on a set of Antiquitys.

The pickups I currently have in there are a Custom in the bridge, a Screamin Demon in the middle, and a JB in the neck. I'm thinking of putting the Demon in my Les Paul's bridge and I think the Custom may be a *bit* too thin. But the only reason it sounds thin is because I have a JB in the neck... it's the fattest and overall best-sounding pickup I have in any of my guitars. It just sounds so alive.

While we're at it, is there any bridge humbucker that can FATTEN UP the sound? I was thinking of a CC or an Invader.... agh....

Comment

For beefier sound JbJr bridge + APS II's / Texas Hots neck and middle

Comment

Anyone else? Please? Especially with that last question, what can fatten up my bridge as I have it now? (I have an SH-5!)

Comment

Working...
                        X