Rusty Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Pickup

How would you go about cleaning rust of a pick up? My e-bay hotrail is a bit rusty
    Thanks
    James
    "You can have my guitar when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

Re: Rusty Pickup

I've got a hot rails pickup in the bridge of my squire strat which is going a bit rusty too....

I was planning to maybe use some wire wool to clear the rust off the blades (trying not to let the rubbings get into the coils), then maybe rub some wd40 onto a rag and carefully apply it to the blades with the rag to form a coating, which I hope will prevent it rusting again (again being careful not to get WD40 into the coils).

I'll probably do that this weekend - I'm planning to fit some new pickups and a new switch to the guitar, and generally give it a little TLC. I'll post a thread about how well my plan worked unless someone comes up with a reason why I shouldn't do it beforehand

Comment

Clean up with steel wool, remove the remains of the steel wool with tape, and then aplly some nail polish to prevent rusting again. See Dan Erlewine´s "how to make your electric guitar play great"!

Comment

What's wrong with rust??!!! It adds MOJO to your tone!
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Thanks Alot everyone
          I was thinking of using wire wool but was worried it might damage the pickup
          I'll do that now
          Like your post dr.barlo!!! But all my other pickups are crystal clean!!
          Thanks again
          "You can have my guitar when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

Comment

Hmmm...what is this "mojo" that comes with rust?
            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
            Originally posted by Sosomething
            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Rust never sleeps...

Comment

Working...
              X