Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which mini humbucker for tele neck?

Dude,

Just wanna try a mini humbucker in the neck position of ash tele maple neck. What would ya recommend? Or Would I be better off with a fully size humbucker?

Vintage Mini HumbuckerYes6.54k7.57kAlnico 5 bar7.0khz6.0khz

Clean, low output.

Custom Mini HumbuckerYes8.52k16.41kCeramic bar9.0khz4.0khz

Bright, high output punch.

Seymourized Mini HumbuckerYes6.29k11.6kAlnico 5 bar7.0khz4.8khz

High output, smooth and fat.

Cheers!
    "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Re: which mini humbucker for tele neck?

I think the Vintage and Seymourized neck pickups are pretty similar in output, and they will match well in terms of output and tone with most decent vintage-style Tele bridge pickups. These mini-HBs provide a better output match for Tele bridge pups than do most fullsize HBs, and they have a nice blend of HB and SC characteristics.

I opted for an SM-3n at the neck slot of an ash/maple Fender American Series Tele because the stock 4-conductor wiring made it easy to install with a Fender Nocaster bridge pickup (i.e., phase issues were easy to deal with). They sound great together. I'm sure the SD Jerry Donahue would work with the SM-1n or SM-3n, too.
    I think you're on the right track!

Comment

Thanks man. BTW, how do ya think about the antiquity mini humbucker with antiquity tele bridge?

Comment

I'd go with ant II firebird mini. Not that I have ever used it, yet am a big Johnny Winter fan. Am thinking of doing that sometime.

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

brisk...I'm happy to hear you are thinking of modding your Tele, warms my heart. hehe
          I asked Kelsey on the other thread about the miniHB, sounds kool. Good luck and have fun. OK doc...ya had to throw another pup into the mix, I've got another choice to decide now. Love that Winter tone too.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
          Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
          Celestion speakers
          Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
          Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
            I'd go with ant II firebird mini. Not that I have ever used it, yet am a big Johnny Winter fan. Am thinking of doing that sometime.

B
            believe it or not, that's what I would've said!

my friend Pete Quigley uses a Tbird pup in his tele

I took a look at it to see how it attaches, etc, plus you'd have to get a guard cut of course
            Last edited by Curly; 07-07-2004, 01:42 PM.
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by butnut
              brisk...I'm happy to hear you are thinking of modding your Tele, warms my heart. hehe
              I am not worthy!

I am not worthy!

I am not worthy!

Comment

I like the Antiquity pups that I've heard so far, so I suspect I'd like the Ant. II Firebird, too. However, it is worth mentioning that the SM-1 Vintage and SM-3 Seymourized mini-HBs are Firebird-based designs as well. I wish there were more guitars designed around the Firebird mini, as I just can't get with the ergonomics of the Firebird guitar otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                  believe it or not, that's what I would've said!

my friend Pete Quigley uses a Tbird pup in his tele

I took a look at it to see how it attaches, etc, plus you'd have to get a guard cut of course
                  Cool! Warmoth would get the pickguard done, no problems there.

Comment

I just ordered SM-3 and JD. (Also I ordered ssl-3 for my strat bridge postion because Curly's raving review). Thanks guys. As Dr. Barlo said, I am going to order a new pickguard from warmoth ...

Comment

Cool! JD simply rules! Let us know what you think of SM3.

B

Comment

I think that combo will work very well together, as they seem to have compatible EQ curves and both are slightly compressed sounding. I have both, but not together in one guitar, so I'm anxious to hear some feedback on them, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelsey
                          I think that combo will work very well together, as they seem to have compatible EQ curves and both are slightly compressed sounding. I have both, but not together in one guitar, so I'm anxious to hear some feedback on them, too.
                          You got it. I may post a clip. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                          X