banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickup for the bridge of an Ibanez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickup for the bridge of an Ibanez?

Hi guys.. I'm thinking about trading for an Ibanez 1990 S 540 I think it is.. Anyway, it's got a Tone Zone in the bridge and even though I liked that pickup it seemed to be a metal to the pedal all the time pup.. I also thought it was too bassy, but maybe that guitar needs this.. Anyway, I also don't like high output pups any longer and was thinking about the Blue Sarceno pickup ? What ya think? I want something that has a weak magnetic field for more sustain and that has that Gibson LP type sound or typical PAF sound? Any suggestions?

Tim
    Tim..

Re: What pickup for the bridge of an Ibanez?

You might check out the DiMarzio PAF Pro, or for something a tad hotter the Air Norton. I have both pickups, each in the neck of one of my two axes, and I absolutely love them. Medium output, very clear and articulate, sensitive to pick attack and the guitar's knob settings. Also have loads of sustain, especially the Air Norton with the "Airbucker" technology business. Don't have much experience with SD p'ups other than the JB and '59 however.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

what about the original trembucker, i thought it was designed for that purpose
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Ibanez loves putting the Tone Zone in their Prestige and S guitars. And, imo, I think they sound like absolute CRAP! I've yet to hear a TZ in a guitar in a way that didn't make me recoil in horror! It's all 'boom + sizzle', at least to my ears.

The 540S is a mahagony body, correct? In that case I would think an Alnico 2 Pro or PAF-ish HB would be better suited to that guitar. I have a DiMarzio Breed in my Jem, and I actually think that's a great 'technical' pickup.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

blues patb-3 is the best pup for the RG's but would also sound great in a S series

Comment

I gotta agree with Twilight on this one... APH-2's. Smooth sounding pickups with low to moderate output. Sounds like what you're looking for.
            7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

i have a 540 s (see my avatar) and i put a C5 in the bridge and am very happy with it ... i bet a JB would do well too as would a CC (although i see you want to stay away from hi output) ... i always thought that guitar was too 'thin' sounding (perhaps owing to its light weight / small size), so i put a '59 in the neck (LOVE IT) to go with the C5 ... i would be slightly wary that the AIIP might be not give you the bass response you want, but it's a great pickup in the neck of my (somewhat beefier) brian moore

good luck,
              t4d
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

In an S series, I like the PGn and the CC or C5 bridge. I installed the C5 and PGn in my friends newer S series (with ZR Trem) and it sounds killer now.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I agree with the Blues Trembucker idea. In a tremolo-equipped guitar, it's the best sounding bridge pickup I've ever tried.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
                  X