Terminology explanation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminology explanation?

Can anyone explain (as best as possible with words) what 'thin,' 'muddy,' 'fat,' 'warm,' mean concerning pickup tones?
    "Jesus can be praised in many ways; why ruin Rock and Roll?"

Re: Terminology explanation?

'thin,' - lacking body, usually trebly without bass, and lacking harmonics

'muddy,' - lacking articulation, such a Les Paul on the neck position, when the output is overpowering the articulation

'fat,' - full tone, lots of lower mids and lows, with full rich harmonic content

'warm,' - rich in mids and lows, without any piercing highs
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
      'thin,' - lacking body, usually trebly without bass, and lacking harmonics

'muddy,' - lacking articulation, such a Les Paul on the neck position, when the output is overpowering the articulation

'fat,' - full tone, lots of lower mids and lows, with full rich harmonic content

'warm,' - rich in mids and lows, without any piercing highs
      I was going to chime in,but Curly explained it very nicely! What Curly said!

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I agree 100% w/those definitions ...
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

lol curly's definitions should go in the FAQ of SD.
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

thin is self explanatory,it means the overall tone is tinny,maybe too bright as well
            muddy to me means not a whole lot o clarity like too much bass drowning out the highs and mids.
            like if you play a big chord with a lot of overdrive the notes will all bleed into one another
            A good clarity pup will allow you to play a big suspended bar chord and still you will hear every note in that chord even with a lot of distortion.
            fat is a big warm tone that still has good definition, usually the treble is rolled back a bit and the mids and bass are higher.
            warm is to me a les paul tone like most les paul players get, it is fat,bigsounding
            and just has a warm feeling about it even when you are playing the highest E note

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
              lol curly's definitions should go in the FAQ of SD.
              Thanks,
              Gearjoneser put together a very nice list of tone terms for amps and guitars on the old board that got lost from the vault, unfortunately.
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                Gearjoneser put together a very nice list of tone terms for amps and guitars on the old board that got lost from the vault, unfortunately.
                Gearjonser's knowlege and first-hand experience are an asset to this forum ... and his mental data base intimidates me!! lol
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                X