• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nuntius
    replied
    Re: les paul tone from SG ???

what about a double cut LP?

it'd be lighter and easier to play than a normal LP and would probably sound more like one than you could get an SG to.

Leave a comment:

• RG 2570
    replied

if it is a newer SG is will accept a trem spaced pup, in that case get a blues saraceno patb-3 for a les paul tone.
    the newer gibson bridges are wider and use a trem spaced pup like the 490T,500T, 498T these are ALL tremspaced(52mm) pups

Leave a comment:

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied

Originally posted by slate
    you got that right !

the only consolation for being a lefty is that it somewhat contains the already ludicrous amount of time and money that i spend in search of the perfect guitar .

slate
    Oh,and you're over in England,as I imagine certain model guitars are harder to get over there? I'm up to like 6 strats,2 teles,a les paul,and an sg..I'm pretty happy really...And a real nice acoustic aLso.... I keep collecting and building more strats..LOL

Leave a comment:

• slate
    replied

you got that right !

the only consolation for being a lefty is that it somewhat contains the already ludicrous amount of time and money that i spend in search of the perfect guitar .

slate

Leave a comment:

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied

thanks for your reply !
    all gibson SG's use the exact same body thickness - 1.35 inches .
    they all have solid mahogany bodies , apart from the supreme which has .675" mahogany and .675" maple .
    ive tried one ( supreme) and it does indeed sound a little more LP-like.

however , gibson dont make the supremes left handed , and being a lefty , i have no choice but to have the custom shop make me one as special order .

i do own a les paul - but i cant play it like i can play the SG - the SG size and weight just does it for me .

thanks again ,
    slate
    Another Lefty and I feel your pain buddy!

Leave a comment:

• slate
    replied

thanks for your reply !
    all gibson SG's use the exact same body thickness - 1.35 inches .
    they all have solid mahogany bodies , apart from the supreme which has .675" mahogany and .675" maple .
    ive tried one ( supreme) and it does indeed sound a little more LP-like.

however , gibson dont make the supremes left handed , and being a lefty , i have no choice but to have the custom shop make me one as special order .

i do own a les paul - but i cant play it like i can play the SG - the SG size and weight just does it for me .

thanks again ,
    slate

Leave a comment:

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied

Originally posted by papersoul
    I would say the Rio Grande BBQ in the bridge.

Gibson will build you a fatter SG with maple top?? Don't they already make that with the SG Custom or Supreme or something? I bet the custom shop one will be expensive!!!! Did they quote a price?

(Papersoul) Why not get a Les Paul and have both??
    He already has a Les Paul!

I Own a Les Paul and an SG...I can sought of cop the Les Paul vibe,but the Les Paul has overall more sustain and that heavier body going for it..I use a 59N and a Dimarzio Fred in the bridge on my SG,but I treat each guitar for it's own identities...

John

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    replied

hi guys ,
    i'm new here , so please forgive me if this question has already been asked .

basically ,i want to make my SG's sound like my les paul .

can i do this simply by changing the pickups , and if so , what would you reccomend ?

i have changed the bridge in one of my SG's to a gibson 500t ceramic ( which i have in my les paul ) , and it does sound pretty close to the les - but its still lacking that wonderful " tightness" and focus that the les has .

gibson say they will build me a fatter SG with a maple top ( through custom direct ) , but theyre a bit vague as to whether or not this will actually sound any closer to the les than my standard SG's.
    thanks ,
    slate
    I would say the Rio Grande BBQ in the bridge.

Gibson will build you a fatter SG with maple top?? Don't they already make that with the SG Custom or Supreme or something? I bet the custom shop one will be expensive!!!! Did they quote a price?

Why not get a Les Paul and have both??

Leave a comment:

• slate
    started a topic les paul tone from SG ???

les paul tone from SG ???

hi guys ,
    i'm new here , so please forgive me if this question has already been asked .

basically ,i want to make my SG's sound like my les paul .

can i do this simply by changing the pickups , and if so , what would you reccomend ?

i have changed the bridge in one of my SG's to a gibson 500t ceramic ( which i have in my les paul ) , and it does sound pretty close to the les - but its still lacking that wonderful " tightness" and focus that the les has .

gibson say they will build me a fatter SG with a maple top ( through custom direct ) , but theyre a bit vague as to whether or not this will actually sound any closer to the les than my standard SG's.
    thanks ,
    slate
Working...
X