les paul tone from SG ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: les paul tone from SG ???

Try a Blues Saraceno trembucker. It will add body/low-end and some of the high-end that the LP gets from a maple cap.
    This machine kills fascists

Comment

SG has a thinner body with a thinner neck (comparing to 59 and early 50s taper LP necks). In comparison to SG, LP has a huge mass of wood. The weight should reflect that anyway.

SG does not have that much mids, it sure has uppermids, but not that much lowermids. Hence a LP sounds bigger, sounds with more base, deeper... In order to offset too deep a tone, Les 'the magnificient' Paul came up with the maple cap, to restore some of the bite that might be lost with an all mahogany construction. Sure the customs are all mahogany, but then they have ebony boards, which add bite to its tone.

Hence, CC would compensate for the lack of lowermids on a SG.

I always was not comfy with SGs. The bridge as I said can be done with a CC or Ant bridge or a 59 with an a2 magnet. Yet the neck position is what annoys me. It simply is too bright, and no matter what I have done I could not get a LP neck tone out of it. Looks like I don't like 24fret neck positions, even tho some may love them.

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

BTW by the same token, my humble opinion is that due to that issue with uppermids, PGb in the bridge of a SG does not do that well. The same issue as that of BBQ, yet the magnitude of that with PG is way less. I think that texas sizzle ain't no good for SGs.

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

one guy here had a SG that no matter what pup he tried it sounded anemic
          he put in a dimarzio breed and loves it now?

Comment

If the primary differences between the LP and the SG are frequency response (different levels of mids, etc.), then you can make them similar if you can find a pickup that has a frequency response that "corrects the problem". Why do this with the pickup? Why not use the tone controls on the amp or get a preamp with a better equalizer if necessary? To make the question more general, why do you ever need to change a pickup to get a different frequency response? Surely if you can compensate for wood with a pickup, you can compensate for a pickup with an equalizer.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
              SG has a thinner body with a thinner neck (comparing to 59 and early 50s taper LP necks). In comparison to SG, LP has a huge mass of wood. The weight should reflect that anyway.

SG does not have that much mids, it sure has uppermids, but not that much lowermids. Hence a LP sounds bigger, sounds with more base, deeper... In order to offset too deep a tone, Les 'the magnificient' Paul came up with the maple cap, to restore some of the bite that might be lost with an all mahogany construction. Sure the customs are all mahogany, but then they have ebony boards, which add bite to its tone.

Hence, CC would compensate for the lack of lowermids on a SG.

I always was not comfy with SGs. The bridge as I said can be done with a CC or Ant bridge or a 59 with an a2 magnet. Yet the neck position is what annoys me. It simply is too bright, and no matter what I have done I could not get a LP neck tone out of it. Looks like I don't like 24fret neck positions, even tho some may love them.

B
              Thanks for the clarification. I would also think you would want a pickup with good bass for the SG, no??
              My personal current favorite SG pickups are the stock Gibsons in the Special and the Classic 57 in the '61 reissue.

I hear ya on the Texas sizzle and the upper mids, but the BBQ has worked wonders in all of my other guitars. Mostly my Dean Evos which are extremely similar to the PRS Singlecut. I should be trying the C-5 or BBQ in my Dean hardtail.

Comment

cool - thanks for the responses guys !

anyone tried active EMG's in an SG ?

Comment

Originally posted by slate
                  cool - thanks for the responses guys !
                  May I ask you which type of bridge do you have in your SG? Does it has tailpiece or is it just a waparound? Because this it is goin to play a very inportat role in the tone.

Anyway, Are you interested in hight output pickups? If not may be you could check the APII (alnico pro model). From the tone chart it seems that they have a good degree of bass. And it seems this is what you need to move the tone response towards a LP. They are Alnico II as Dr. Barlo suggested. Clearness, arliculation and dynamics guaranteed.

Comment

If a pickup swap isn't doing it for you
                    I could custom build you one of my double cutaway models lefty for you and tailer the wood and the pickups for an LP tone or anything in betwee. I don't know the cost of a gibson custom shop, but I'm pretty confident i'm less expensive.
                    I'm doing a similar thing for Pureoldsound as we speak - he's another lefty in need.

if you do go pickup route - might i suggest that instead of getting a pickup like the one in a LP, thinnk of the tone of the wood and wht the pickup is trying to emphasis or counter then go from there
                    LPs are thick and warm and muddy and the pickups usually a5 or ceramic bring some life and bite to that
                    find what the sg is missign and counter that

Cheers
                    Last edited by Blueline; 07-09-2004, 09:53 AM.
                    Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
                    Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
                    www.gaugeguitars.com
                    Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X