STL-2 Hot Model For Tele "Tapped"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STL-2 Hot Model For Tele "Tapped"

Does anyone have one of these? I have asked Evan a few times before about them. I remember him telling me his favorite Tele pickup was the STL-2. I'd like to hear some opinions about the tapped version. I was thinking of using one and useing it tapped during rhythms and kicking in the full pickup for leads.
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Re: STL-2 Hot Model For Tele "Tapped"

Butch,
    you probably know I've mentioned the Hots lately a couple times

I have a custom shop set I ordered at the factory, but haven't used it yet - I was saving it for a custom project.:

that includes the specs, although I'm still not sure if that set is A5 or A2 - I'll have to ask MJ...
    but when I ordered, I asked Evan about the switching, 'cause that's what he said he uses ... I think MJ wound the neck RWRP. Sorry for the lack of good info, but the invoice doesn't even say. I do need to ask, though, for future reference.
    Lew has a similar set on order, I believe.

I also have the Hot neck in my AS tele, and as I mentioned to Lew, it's not as hot as you might expect - just nice and warm, and blends pretty well with the JD in there now.

I think a Hot set with tapped bridge might be a cool combo that still retains a stock look, but I would find out for sure if you want RWRP with a 5 way switch.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Curly,

THose pics are very nice! Those pickups look like art! She did such a great job with those. The black yarn on the bridge pickup is exceptionally nice. The wiring I'm thinking of doing is the "Joe Wilson" wiring.

The "Joe Wilson" wiring for TelecasterŽ
      Joe Wilson Wiring
      This wiring was designed for one of our sales reps in the Southeast, Joe Wilson, who wanted to add some extra versatility to his TeleŽ, while retaining the stock look. For this scheme, we use our "tapped" Hot Lead (STL-2T) and a Vintage Rhythm (STR-1) pickups. We used a special 4-pole 5-way switch in place of the standard 3-way switch. In position 1, you'll get a hotter Tele lead sound. Position 2 will give a traditional Tele lead sound. Position 3 gives you both the rhythm and "traditional" lead sound in "parallel" (the typical Tele wiring). Position 4 gives the rhythm and "traditional" lead sound in "series," a warmer and fuller sound for smooth jazz runs. Position 5 gives you the rhythm pickup by itself. We also put in a push-pull pot on the tone control that reverses the phase of the neck pickup. This gives a nice, chiming, James Burton-esque sound in positions 3 and 4. Make sure that you cut the short bare wire between the cover and the black wire on the rhythm pickup. You must then run an additional wire from the cover to ground, so that the cover still shields the rhythm pickup. The 5-way switch we show here is Yamaha's 4-pole 5-way switch. The value of the push-pull pot should be 250k. Take your time wiring this one, and always take your guitar to your local technician if you are not comfortable wiring your own instrument.
      -Butch Snyder
      butchsnyder.com

Comment

Butch,
        I have a feeling a Hot tapped set would be great.

I was planning on just using a regular 5 way strat switch, in fact I have the pots and switch on a control plate ready to go.

I just planned on using the regular tapped schematic.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

I believe I will get the Hot set and give the "Joe Wilson" wiring a try.
          -Butch Snyder
          butchsnyder.com

Comment

Is the standard Hot Tele tapped pickup hotter than the custom shop version that Curly mentioned? I think a lead pickup at around 10K full and 7K tapped would be very cool, especially if it didn't cost too much.

Comment

the regular Hot Tele Lead model is 15.6k/ 7.4k tapped
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

Curly,

Hurry up and install yours so you can post a review!!
                -Butch Snyder
                butchsnyder.com

Comment

Originally posted by BS123
                  Curly,

Hurry up and install yours so you can post a review!!
                  haha ... the thought crossed my mind!
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X