Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more stupid questions

these have probably been asked a million times before (sorry), but:

1- as i'm about to hook some pups from various sources (used), how do you install these things? i was quoted $50, which is a damn lot for me. is there a website or something with a idiot proof "hold-my-hand-when-i-pee" kinda walkthrough? hopefully there is a reference somewhere here that i missed.

2- how does this coil tapping business work? what is it and how is it done? can i do it myself? again, a website maybe? i wanna do it to a les paul special type guitar.

3- would there be some kinda way to wedge something into a danelectro? a hodad, specifically, which has the double lipstick humbucker deals on them. i wanna buy one, but i understand they could use some more gain and stuff.

please and thank you.

love,
    eor

Re: more stupid questions

Originally posted by eor
    1- as i'm about to hook some pups from various sources (used), how do you install these things? i was quoted $50, which is a damn lot for me
    The "trick" here is soldering. If you need to buy all the materials it takes to do a good soldering job, you're probably looking at over $50. On the bright side, once you get those materials, they're good for many pup changes. Learning to solder properly is a bit of an art form. If you haven't done it before, you need to practice on something besides your guitar.

Originally posted by eor
    2- how does this coil tapping business work? what is it and how is it done? can i do it myself? again, a website maybe? i wanna do it to a les paul special type guitar.
    Do you actually mean coil-tapping, or coil splitting? They're different. Coil-tapping refers to having an extra wire, or "tap", coming out from a single-coil winding, so that you can select two different output levels. You just use a switch, to select which of the two taps to use.

Coil-splitting refers to switching out one of the coils of a humbucker, so that you operate it in single-coil mode. You do it the same way as the tap, more or less, by using some sort of switch configuration to short one of the coils. Look over the SD schematics on the main page, (under Support), for some good info and learning tools.

Comment

Artie's spot on in his info. As far as the Dano goes, to my knowledge, thereis no production pickup that mounts in a Hodad. I have a U3 and had a heck of a time finding parts for it. The pickup mounting system in Dano's is weird. On the plus side, the pickups do come wired in series, so when you have them running together, you do get more output.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

There are no stupid questions here.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Comment

Working...
        X