Tele humbucker replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele humbucker replacement?

Hello - I'm new here, and far from a gearhead, so please excuse my lack of technical know-how!

I've been playing a LP Special Double Cutaway with P-90's for the last few years, and about a year and a half ago, I got a Hiwatt Custom 50 head and Hiwatt 4X12 cabinet. This is the first rig I've had with which I don't use any pedals, just straight into it and cranked, and I love the tone (I play pretty much just punk rock and hard rock - not much subtlety in my playing). I nearly always use the bridge pickup, with the guitar volume all the way up. The LP has a nice sustain and good overdriven sound - not too crunchy - all the notes are audible.

In any case, I recently got one of the new Fender '72 Tele Deluxe reissues as a backup, hoping that its humbuckers would be close to the same overdrive level/sound as the LP, but that hasn't been the case. Any ideas as to a replacement pickup that would be closer to the P-90 sound I'm getting, or am I being stupid and should just get another LP? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Tele humbucker replacement?

I'm not sure about the size of the tele deluxe 'buckers, but if you want the same sound as P-90's and the routs in your Tele accomodate normal sized 'buckers, a set of Phat Cats would be nice. They're P-90's made to fit humbucker cavities.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Re: Tele humbucker replacement?

I think Benjy_26 advice about the phat Cats it is a good option. They will give you the p-90 tone.
      But, why not keeping the two guitars with different tones?

Comment

Working...
      X