banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 hot rails, but what to do with the middle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 hot rails, but what to do with the middle?

A few years back I gutted my old squire strat and put a SHR-1 (hot rails) in the neck and bridge. I've come back to that guitar to have some fun with guitar electronics. I would like to start with the middle pickup and put in something that is still 'strat' sounding (maybe the vintage staggard) since I have plenty of umph with the hot rails.

With pot upgrades, I know most squire upgrades put in 250's for single coil, is this the best route with the SD mini-humbuckers or are 500's more appropriate?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
    -Nit

Re: 2 hot rails, but what to do with the middle?

Id put a custom staggered in the middle, so the volume drop wont be too noticable but you'll still get strat sounds out of it.
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

So is there an advantage of chosing a neck or bridge pup for the middle position??

Comment

If this is in reference to my suggestion, or even if it isnt actually, for the middle position you should choose the neck/middle version of the pickup rather than the bridge version. Unless you know exactly what the differences would be, but otherwise just stick to that.

Someone else will have to tell you what difference it would make, i wont be able to tell you in proper detail.
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

welcome to the board

my $0.02 is for a vintage rails (neck) in the middle ... you'll get great tone, preserve the hum cancelling of the guitar, and it will match the look as well

500K pots for humbuckers typically work quite well

good luck and let us know how it goes
          cheers
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
          X