Antiquity II mini hum VS. Phat Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity II mini hum VS. Phat Cat

Can anyone tell me how mini-humbuckers and p-90's compare to each other? I've played a few P-90's, but not any mini humbuckers, and I know that mini humbuckers are kinda similar (bright yet fat)

I want to put one of the pickups mentioned above in the neck of a tele. Anyone who has played either of them, can you tell me how you liked them? also, I'm assuming the Phat cat would be slightly hotter than the antiquity?

Re: Antiquity II mini hum VS. Phat Cat

A P-90 is a big single coil. It doesn't sound like a Strat or Tele single coil though. They're very fat with a ton of girth. They can be gritty and smooth too. A mini-humbucker is just that; a smaller size side-by-side humbucker. It is quiet and fat like a humbucker but has more clarity than the big hummers.
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Re: Antiquity II mini hum VS. Phat Cat

I have a Phat Cat neck in one Tele and an SM-3n Firebird-style mini-HB neck in another, but I can't tell you anything about the Antiq.II mini-HB (Firebird or LP Deluxe). The Phat Cat is fatter and louder than the SM-3. The SM-3 has a more compressed and mid-scooped sound, so it really blends HB and SC characteristics. They both sound really nice alone and in combination with slightly overwound vintage-style Tele lead pickups (a SD Jerry Donahue with the Phat Cat and a Fender Nocaster clean with the SM-3n). The Phat Cat is less noisy than most P90s, while the mini-HB is of course humbucking. The only Tele neck pickups I would consider besides a Phat Cat, mini-HB, or a traditional Tele rhythm pickup would be a vintage style PAF like the Antiq. HB, a Seth Lover, or an A2 Pro HB.

Comment

Working...
      X