ssl-2 in strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssl-2 in strat

i have a 91 strat plus (MIA) and want to swap out the lace sensors for sd, probably the ssl-2 set. how do these sound? is the bridge pup a bit weak? should i go for something like the ssl-3 for the bridge? cheers

Re: ssl-2 in strat

wut sound r u going for and what type of music u play?

Comment

i like generally all classic rock a la deep purple, led zep, the who, pink floyd kiss, metallica, ac/dc, black sabbath, dire straits, rolling stones and eric johnson. basically its pretty broad so yer fire away with your opinions

Comment

Yeah, that is pretty broad. I would suggest that u stick an Alnico II in there. That's all i have to say, i'm not that experienced myself. Some of the regular guys will come here give u some advice later.

Comment

And for your purposes, I wouldn't suggest going for a whole set of ssl-2's. go for some nice combinations and you'll have a very versatile guitar.

Comment

thanks number one - i hope some of the regular guys can give me some advice as well but thanks anyway i'l check the APS-2 out

Comment

SSL-2's would be fine, IMO, and I like the SSL-3 as well - a tapped version would give you a couple extra tones. Yes, some folks say a stock SSL-2 is a little weak in the bridge.
              I have the stock calibrated set in my G & L, and they sound great, but you do want to be able to roll off some tone on the bridge in any case.

APS-2's are a nice option, especially for an ash body or maple neck. They're terrific in the neck slot.

A hybrid mix like APS neck / SSL2 mid/ SSL3 bridge is also worth considering.

check the vintage strat pickup reviews in the Vault for a good rundown of your choices.
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

I have an SSL-2 in my Nashville Telecaster, paired between SD Vintage 54 Tele pups. It is an excellent bright/clear 50's/60's sounding Strat pup. Some say the SSL-1 is glassier, I'm not sure, I think it depends on your fretboard radius and set-up. These pups are great for retro sounds, would do a fine job covering about 1/2 of the artists you mentioned.

Comment

IIRC the consensus is that the staggered pups are "better" for a vintage type fretboard radius (7-1/2 or 9-1/2), while the flat pole pieces (SSL or APS "2") are for flatter fretboards (like Warmoth's 10-16" for example).

Curly's suggestion of an APS in the neck & an SSL in the middle is a great starting point. Either an SSL-3 or a Quarter Pound in the bridge, with a tapped coil, should get you almost everything you're looking/listening for and lots of versatility. (I haven't tried an SSL-3 personally, but love my tapped QP after putting a steel plate under it - more lower mids and a tele-type twang.)

Chip
                  Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                  Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                  Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                  SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                  SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                  "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

i've been reading about the ssl-4 quarter pound - would it be wise to get a set of these? i mean do they sound like ritchie blackmore on 'machine head'?

Comment

Working...
                    X