X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: damn! dimarzio's are cheaply made!

Originally posted by Davey
    a question about dimarzio bobbins/screws
    did they always have those but fukk ugly allen pole heads or did they replace them on most of the models recently (well, mid 90's)

cos as much i remember the superD had normal slug/screw poles in the 80's

i cant stand allen screws
    I have an 80's Super Distortion and it has allen key poles. As far as I know they've always been that way.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
      i didn't really butcher it, but it's not as bad as it was previously. i'll check the next guitar i put it in.
      Huh? You were the one that sold this to me? What do you mean you'll check the next guitar you put it in? Put what in? This is my pickup? Not really understanding ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
        a question about dimarzio bobbins/screws
        did they always have those but fukk ugly allen pole heads or did they replace them on most of the models recently (well, mid 90's)

cos as much i remember the superD had normal slug/screw poles in the 80's

i cant stand allen screws
        The only vintage one I can recall is the PAF model. Everything else has been allen poles. Not every thinks they are fugly either

Then recently (mid 90's) they went for the more traditional Gibson looking layout of slotted screws and slugs. You know the ones... TZ, Norton, Air series, Virtual PAF, PAF Classics...

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
          Huh? You were the one that sold this to me? What do you mean you'll check the next guitar you put it in? Put what in? This is my pickup? Not really understanding ya.
          remember the pickup i was mentioning in the original post

Comment

I have DiMarzios installed in all of my guitars except the one I just got a few days ago, and absolutely love them. Never had a problem, and even replaced a few Duncans with them. At one time or another I had an SD Invader or JB/'59 combo in my Schecter (mahogany body w/ maple cap), and thought they sounded sterile and bright, and didn't respond to knob tweaks at the guitar as well as my DiMarzios do. But it all boils down to personal preference and the individual's ear.

I am currently considering a pair of Seth Lovers for my new jazz box however, so don't flame me as a total blaspheme haha.
            After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

^^ nice rg321 in your avatar. your right about the JB, it's bright. but if you wanna try a nice duncan, you shoudl try teh custom, its a great pickup. btw, how does the RG sound?

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                the other day when i put in the 59 in my charvel to replace the super distortion, i experimented to see if i could take the ceramic magnet out of the super d and pout it into the 59. well to my unsurprise i couldn't do that, when i took the back off the pickup i noticed how cheaply it was made. wax everywhere, couldn't pull anything too far or wires might break and all that crap. now when i tried to put the dimarzio back together i screwed the screws in the coils were off balance. instead of being flat like it was before, the coils are now angled. even though it's only a slight angle it is just really cheaply made and it got me mad

the duncan wasn't like that all, i even took the a5 outof the duncan for about 10 minutes and put it back in, and it's completely fine. sounds great too!

while i'll still play dimarzio's but it looks like i'll never take a magnet out
                I've never had any problem swapping a magnet, and DMZ's tend to go back together just as easily as they come apart, if you screw any bobbin down to tight it will slant ... cheaply made ... nah, I don't think so.
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                  Here's a pic of a Dimarzio Paf Pro. I bought it used and the guy I bought it from said he sold it once before and the guy returned it saying it didn't work, so I think the guy tinkered with it somehow. But the pic shows that there are no spacers under the bobbins at all. Empty space and partial wax. There isn't the outer layer of tape around the 2 coils, but thats my guess is the previous owner butchered it.

Well, that doesn't look stock ... and it does look a bit rough, but bear in mind that the wax only needs to saturate the coil windings themselves, any more is actually wasted (maybe a bit on the magnet is okay). What's with all that fuzzy looking stuff?

Comment

Looks like someone covered the coils with duct-tape.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                      Looks like someone covered the coils with duct-tape.
                      Doesn't that look like sliver spray paint though, with cotton ball pieces stuck in the paint while it's was still tacky ...

Comment

And the magnet is kinda bigger no? Shouldn't it be thinner and wider?

???

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Like I said before someone doctored,butchered (call it what you will) this pickup. The fuzzy stuff is probably just dust that the macro lens exagerrated in detail. The tape surrounding the coils isn't stock, but it does look like a cloth tape of some sort but with more of a glaze, and lol it's not duct tape. When I first got this pickup I looked at it and I thought that white stuff was that spray on foam they sell in cans to seal up cracks. If very well may actually be that because wax doesn't usually look like this on other pickups, and I haven't bothered taking this one apart. I'm glad I got it for cheap cuz someone did a # on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                            Doesn't that look like sliver spray paint though, with cotton ball pieces stuck in the paint while it's was still tacky ...
                            Yeah . . . you might be right.

Which they sprayed right after cleaning the strings with steel wool.

Comment

It just appears silver from the flash. It's pretty much the same color black as the bobbin.

I dunno I actually like the way this glazed cloth tape seems solid. Almost looks like that stuff they wrap to make casts out of.

It took me some searching and finally somone on this forum steered me to the 3M #11 cloth tape, maybe some day I will find out what kind of tape this is too.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                                Yeah . . . you might be right.

Which they sprayed right after cleaning the strings with steel wool.
                                Suddenly it's all becoming clearer ...

Comment

Working...
                                X