Rio Grande pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Grande pickups?

i've heard about them, been to their website a bunch of times, but i still dont know anything really about their pickups.
    tell me about them, sepcifcally the strat pickups and humbuckers. i was thinking of getting a fat strat and maybe putting one of their humbuckers in it and on of their singles in it. tell em about them and what would be a good combination.

-Jim

Re: Rio Grande pickups?

for my tele, I have the muy grande bridge and tallboy neck. Best sounding tele pickups I've ever used.

Comment

I have a Rio Grande BBQ in my Hamer. It's a pretty cool pickup, it has medium output, and a darker sound than most Alnico 5 pickups. It has a good amount of bass and midrange, but the highs are a little softer. It has a nice ZZ Top and AC/DC sound, but it works well for everything I play, clean or dirty.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Can't speak for their Strat pickups, other than I've heard they are the fantastic for vintage "mojo".

Have a set of BBQ/TX in an SG. Sound great, really thick and crunchy.

Have a Bluesbar/Jazzbar P-90 set in a Dean EVO 60. They are amazing sounding.
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

the BBQ looks like a good candidate, sounds like a cool pickup

Comment

Originally posted by superpete
            Can't speak for their Strat pickups, other than I've heard they are the fantastic for vintage "mojo".

Have a set of BBQ/TX in an SG. Sound great, really thick and crunchy.

Have a Bluesbar/Jazzbar P-90 set in a Dean EVO 60. They are amazing sounding.

+1

Your description is dead on. I have a Texas/BBQ set in my LP and a BBQ in my Axis....they sound killer in both! The BBQ has the richest harmonics I've ever heard from a pickup!
            :afro:

Comment

Yes, the BBQ/Texas set is really great! Thick is the word. Harmonics are all there, none missing. The BBQ is a kind of JB with lots more bass and depth.

The Texas is a great, overwound PAF style, with nice, Texas sizzle.
              Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Used to love them. 3-4 years ago or so used to think that they are the best kept secrets. But that was after using very high output pickups for more than 10 years. Now I think that for each RG there is a better SD.

But still its about tastes and all.

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I was told this sounds the same as a BBQ for a lot less cash?

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                    I was told this sounds the same as a BBQ for a lot less cash?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...e_Pickups.html
                    You get what you pay for.

It's been my experience that anything manufactured by Stewart Macdonald is cheap junk. On one occasion, I had a pot go bad after a month, with barely any use. Another time, I ordered a replacement Floyd locking nut, only to have the strings leave an imprint in the nut the first time I locked them down. The metal had to be very soft and of low quality, as it was no longer useable after a few weeks. The Floyd nuts I got from Peavey have lasted me years. I only buy stuff there when it's name brand parts from other manufacturers, such as Schaller strap locks, Grover tuners, etc.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
                    X