banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing duncans PU's, do I need all this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing duncans PU's, do I need all this stuff?

I have a gibson SG and I'm replacing the old PU's with Duncans. I'm installing a '59 for the neck PU, and a C-5 for the bridge PU. When I go to order these PU's on-line, they have a list of options. Cloth covered wire, Metal braided wire, Insulated wire, Copper foil, heat shrink, and Solder (fine or standard). I'm installing new pots and caps too, so I know I'll need the solder, but which, fine or standard? Do I need any of this extra wire to connect these PU's to my pots, or will the wire that comes on the PU's be long enough to reach? I may as well order everything I'm going to need all at once, but what? Am I going to need extra cloth wire, matel braided, insulated, do I need new copper foil? Could anyone help me out on this? This is my first time changing PU's and I really don't know what I going to need. Thanks...........

Other than some solder (I prefer the fine) and maybe a little 22-24 guage wire you should be fine. If you cut back your leads on the C-5 you will probably be left with enough scrap wire to jump the #1 terminals on the volume pots and the #3 terminals on the tone pots to chassis ground so wire may not be nesessary, but it's always good to have a little around.

It's never a bad idea to sheild the control cavity with copper tape but with a HB guitar it's not nessessary.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

So I should get alittle extra cloth covered wire or insulated wire?

Comment

Originally posted by mark129
        So I should get alittle extra cloth covered wire or insulated wire?
        ya, just get some 22-26 gauge insulated wire and the solder, that should be all you need for what your doing. It doesnt matter if you use fine or standard solder for what your doing

Comment

Most importantly, if you've never changed pots and caps,
          draw a little diagram of your controls, and take note of how it's all connected, so you don't run into problems. It's also a good idea
          to use a soft towel to cover the top of your guitar when you work.
          Nothing sucks more than dropping a screwdriver and marring your finish.

Great choice on the pickups. You'll be happy.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
          X