Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG Hummer choices - looking for 69ish sound

Hey all,
    I'm a new poster, but I've lurked here for a while, so I am familiar with the site, and starting to get a feel for the various product offerings. It really is a great site, well moderated, and offers so much more than merely pup I sincerely thank all of you tone-experts for the info I've gathered over this time, and hope some of you can now help me on my own tone quest.

I've got a 92' SG special, currently with 490 in both positions. I'm very familiar with the tone limits/strengths of this set, as I've been using it for 12 years now. Likewise, I am also very familiar with the 498/490 combo that is most often used as the stock pup package in most other SG's (standards). I mention these 2 combos so that we may have a basis of reference as we choose my new Duncan combo. I don't have any first hand experience with any of Seymour's products, so if you were to say "this PG is brighter than the JB", that would really have no reference to me at this point, but if we could keep using the 490 (or 498) as the comparision reference, I feel I'd be able to better comprehend your advice, at least until I become more familiar with it all.

I am looking to come close to the sound of a standard SG from the 68-69 era. As I said earlier, some periodic lurking has already illuminated that I should be sticking in the PAF style of products, but I'd like an opinion from someone who's already been down that path. Because of budget reasons, I'll need to stick with "shelf stock" Duncans, rather than any custom ordering. I want to keep the total order at 2 bills or less. preferably around 150 bucks, but I'd be willing to ante up to 200 if need be. I think that keeps me within the zone of most SD's out there, so that should be a reasonable request, imo.

My initial research has led me to the 59 neck and JB bridge. However, I could be all wrong, and that's why I'm here. I only mentioned this just to see how accurate my research was. was I close????

We play tons of classic rock, covering Dead, Zep, NY, ABB, Beatles, Stones, and a smattering of old blues and even some folk and 50's stuff. I know that's a wide range of sounds, and I don't even want to pretend that one axe (even with awesome SD pups!!!) can faithully do the tone-clone thing on that wide of a spectrum. But my biggest jones is for that 68-69 SG tone, and if you can get me there, then I know I will "work it" for the rest of that stuff. I assume I'll do some coil tapping too, if the pups come wired that way, but that's not strict criteria for me.

I have already swapped out the stock gibby tone pots and replaced them with 500K. I can always go back to 250-300K pots if you think the pups that you are suggesting would get me closer to my goal with those parts. FWIW, though, I thought the 500k's were an improvement over the old ones.

I play through a 60W JCM60 marshall and a custom 2 x 12 cab with Jensens. I use minimal effects (modified Q-tron, occasional flanger). I usually use the "clean" channel for most of my needs.

thanks in advance for the attention and the advice.

Hopefully, I have provided enough details to get an accurate answer, but if I can add anything else, please let me know.

regards,
    sabe

Re: SG Hummer choices - looking for 69ish sound

get a set of 59's

Comment

id say a set of 59s would work........ but if you want a hotter bridge pickup but stilll the vibe and tone of a PAF........ try a Custom 5 in the bridge and 59 in the neck

however, if you do that, you will have basically a similar tone in both the bridge and neck, except obviously the tone wil take on the characteristics of a bridge or neck pup

if you want a little more versatility or just 2 different tones in the guitar......... id say try a 59 bridge/seth lover neck (or the other way around)...... and again, if you want a little hotter PAF tone with more bass, you could put a C5 in the bridge and pair that with a seth lover neck

if it were me, id try a C5/seth lover combo and wire the C5 for split operation.........and if you dont want a hotter bridge pickup, put a 59 in the bridge, with a seth lover neck
      Last edited by flank; 07-12-2004, 10:43 AM.
      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
      >cord<
      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I'd also have to agree that a set of 59's would be the best starting point. There were no high output pups back in 69, and at 16k the JB is fairly hot. Not to say that it's not a great pup, but not a 69' sound. I found that the JB pushed the clean channel of my JCM 800 too much to effectively use it.

The C5 is also hotter at 14k, but I've had that in a LP type guitar, and it did not distort my clean channel nearly as quickly. The C5 will still give you that vintage vibe, but with the ability to handle some heavier stuff if need be.

I think another factor you need to decide is whether you like the edgy/glassy tone of an Alnico V pickup, or the smoother sound of an Alnico II. 59's = A5, APH II's, Seth's, PG's = A2. I'm an A2 guy myself for the most part.

Sorry I can't compare to your 490's or 498's, but I really haven't played them much. My recommendation would be either 59's or APH II's.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

My experience is that a '59 neck sounds cleaner than a 490 neck. The EQ is more balanced and the bass is more vintage. The cleans are 10 times fuller and smoother than the 490.

For the bridge I went with a Demon. It's 10K and just a little hotter than the '59 bridge. Its also a very clean, articulate pup with bite and growl when pushed.

My suggestions would be....

neck PG or '59
          bridge '59 or Demon

Comment

I'd go for a set of '59s.

They're alnico V PAF-style pickups, and that to my knowledge is what would have been in a '69ish SG.

I've played '59s in my LP through a JTM60 (very similar to a JCM60) and was very happy with the results - very versatile pickups.

Comment

wow. I really appreciate the feedback guys.

it looks like I'll definately do the 59 neck. at least my gut instincts were right on track for that.

as far as the bridge, though, I'm still a little up in the air. I guess I can go with another 59, or perhaps something a "touch" hotter, just for some added versatility. Would that be a Seth? PG? Or will the 59N be different enough just by virtue of it being closer to the bridge?

I'm gonna brew on the advice, and ponder my final choice for the bridge over the next few days, so if anyone wants to add any advice, please throw it in here, as this ride ain't quite over yet.

One other thing... Is there a an on-line retailer that you recommend? I'm looking for good prices, reliable service, and secure shopping cart. I know I can go to MF, but I prefer to support a smaller shop, if possible. especially if they contribute regular advice to this board.
              -sabe

Comment

he has great service.......and charges negative shipping on most of his pickups....usually about 4 or 5 dollars of negative shipping, so he has the best prices around.......and hes also a memeber on the board and a great guy to deal with

also check out lews's guitars......hes got great prices and is also a member here

buy from one of those guys, there great
                http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                >cord<
                1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

'59 neck for sure, it's my favorite neck pickup. I think if you're going for a classic tone the '59 bridge might do ya. I usually prefer a little hotter bridge pickup. Right now I'm using a '59 neck and JB bridge set and I'm in love with it.

Comment

i used a c5 in the bridge of my sg for a few years till i sold it, still miss that guitar.
                    for a sound closest to a late 60's sg id say a 59 set would be a good choice.
                    the c5 has a bigger bottom end and more output than the 59b. closer in output to a 498t than 490t but with a more vintage tone than the 498, especially in the mids.

Comment

Working...
                    X