X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ok Artie how do I fix this one?

Originally posted by dr.barlo
    3 threads going on at the same time!

Anyways, no problems in the middle position, because then it will be the good old LP middle position. And both of the tones at 10, there won't be that much of a loss of highs even with non-no load pots. How do I know, well have been playing LPs with that kinda wiring for quite a while now, like 10 years! I am getting old!

B
    Dadgummit . . . I keep forgetting that LP's have been wired this way for decades.

One of these days I'll learn that "guitar electronics" ain't exactly the same as F-14 electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      Dadgummit . . . I keep forgetting that LP's have been wired this way for decades.

One of these days I'll learn that "guitar electronics" ain't exactly the same as F-14 electronics.
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Hooray Finaly a post with some replies! What was my question?

Snowdog

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.

Never thought about it,from a hum-cancelling standpoint that idea repulses me ... That's more trouble than it's worth, but it could be done with the addition of a on/off/on SPDT or DPDT switch to disable either split.
          That was in regard to the neck full/bridge split; neck split/bridge full combos ... my fingers got ahead of my mouth ... It would take an additional on/on/on DPDT switch to select either split active or both active. Still it's more trouble than it's worh in my opinion.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I think we accidently got on two separate tracks here, probably because of the way I posed my statement. What I meant was, that with the volume pots on zero, with my resistor mod, both volumes would be at halfway, regardless of whether they were audio taper or linear pots. At any pot setting other than zero, the taper will definitely be skewed one way or the other.

Kent; In regards to your last diagram for Dr. Barlo, am I correct that when he switches the 3-way to the middle position, (neck and bridge), that he'll have a considerable loss of treble? Due to both tone controls being connected in parallel? (I didn't notice anywhere that they might be no-load pots.)
            I had an incredibly detailed and LONG answer to this, and lost it somehow ... *&^#$%@#$ ... Anyway, first the short answer is (using standard values) using a 47k ground shunt resistor with a 500k-A pot will give you about -23dB or so at 0 (a little less than half volume), the other route using a 220ktapering resistor between the CW and W to linear-ize th pot a bit (more subtle,better control of mixing the two pups) ... down side greater loading on the pups Res Fc Peak (although this may be desireable) ...third a combo of both with the ground shunt resistorvalue altered accordingly.
            This problem with the first is that you lose the ability to kill the guitar if need be. Wiring one control conventional and the other alternative has merit also, as one will kill the signal if need be in the middle position. The master volume/attenuator setup (with either lifted ground or the inclusion of the ground shunt resistor) also has merit, as long as the *other volume pot* is not in the signal path when not selected.

The short answer to the second question is basiclly no, the impedance drops off so it pushes the filter cutoff Fc higher, the doubling of the cap values bring it back down to were is was. the better trick is to set up one pup with one value cap (say a .01uF for a woman tone thing) and the other for a deeper cut, (say .033uF ) this give the same combined (roughly) value, as well as allowing two different resonant peak shifts when both pups are selected (one tone turn off will sound different than the other tone turned off, and both turned off will be a bit darker still). With both value equal the difference between one tone knob down and two down will be about 6dB ...subtle but noticeable ... the RES Fc Peak will shift however ...this can only really be gotten around by active buffering, or damping the resonant peak and reassigning the shelf cut off Fc and attenuation levels. Like the G&L ASAT for example. That's the short answer.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
              3 threads going on at the same time!

B
              Do I hear four threads ... sold! To the Doobie Brother in the plaid golf pants, striped shirt, polka dotted tie, and tie dye sneakers,wearing cheap sunglasses!

Comment

Personally as much as I like the F-14 & 16's I feel if the world had more guitars and less of the others (although they would make cool sports cars, so to speak) we'd be better off ... Oh course this also reminds me of the saying *It does no good for the sheep to pass laws regarding vegetarianism, while the wolves remain of a different opinion ...*

Comment

Kent; In regards to your last diagram for Dr. Barlo, am I correct that when he switches the 3-way to the middle position, (neck and bridge), that he'll have a considerable loss of treble? Due to both tone controls being connected in parallel? (I didn't notice anywhere that they might be no-load pots.)
                  Also, please go back and reread my statement concerning this explanation to Barlo (somewhere toward the beginning of this thread) ... BTW ... the F-16's are going to be changed over to all tubes (metal cased mil-spec 6L6's and 6JS7's).

Comment

Working...
                  X