Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey wolfgang pickups

Hi,
    Just grabbed a used Peavey Wolfgang/Archtop with the Stoptail setup. My question has to do with these pickups, I actually like the stock peavey pickups.. Can anyone recommend the closest replacements in a non Peavey brand for my other guitar? I read somewhere that the Ernie Ball EVH guitar pickups were by DImarzio, and the closest Dimarzio's to those are the Tone Zone bridge & Airzone neck . Does anyone know about the Peavey Wolf pickups and if their is a simialr aftermarket equivalent out there?
    THanks

Re: peavey wolfgang pickups

I've also heard that the Dimarzio set you mentioned is somewhat close. I've never tried them, so I can't say for sure. In general though, there are very few pickups out there that sound exactly like another pickup on the market. You can buy the Wolfgang pickups directly from Peavey, but they're not cheap.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Just in case you weren't aware of it, the Wolf pups run a bit smaller than most pickups in size or dimensions. If you intend to replace Wolf pups with some other brand like SD or Dimarz., be ready to open up the pickup cavity just a bit. On some Wolfgangs, I've seen a reg.JB fit in extremely tight but it does go in, while others there was no question as to carving out the pickup cavity a little bigger.

just thought you'd like to know.

Boze.

Comment

No need to route the cavity. But if you put in a pickup with rectangular mounting tabs, you'll need to cut those into an oval shape, and you'll have to enlarge the mounting holes a bit because the Wolfgang pickups mount directly to the body. I've had lots of Duncans in my Wolfgang, both standard and trembucker spaced models, and I've never had any problems with them fitting once I sanded down the mounting tabs into an oval shape.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Lol,

You just better be sure yoy really like the pups before you do that, ha! I was going to get a set of wolfie pups, I have a Peavey 5150

But I tried out a Wolfgang guitar and they really trebley, must be something to do with Ed's hearing loss.

Comment

the closest is a norton in the bridge(14K) and a air zone in the neck(17K)

Comment

Originally posted by inter
              Lol,

You just better be sure yoy really like the pups before you do that, ha! I was going to get a set of wolfie pups, I have a Peavey 5150

But I tried out a Wolfgang guitar and they really trebley, must be something to do with Ed's hearing loss.
              THat's strange, because the one I have is not trebley at all, this one is warm and crunchy, like a Custom Custom but with more bass and wallop. THis only reaffrims how much other factors can cause such variances, no two guitars sound alike and the same pickups can sound so different in them.
              Thanks for the ideas, I will check out the Tone Zone and or the Norton for kicks. I wish Duncan would market a happy medium in between the tones of a Custom and a Custom 5.

Comment

Working...
              X