JB with A-2 magnet question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB with A-2 magnet question!

Hey guys I sent Stevo a PM about his JB with and A-2. I was wondering how the tone compared to the CC. I am very happy with my CC but the thought of the JB's ouput coupled with the A-2 warmness intrigued me,as it would be a hell of shredding pickup. The alder strat I put the CC in was too bright for the ceramic and the A-5 magnets. I settled on the A-2 magnet as it was just about perfect and was warmer to my ears . I like mids anyway.

Any thoughts on this?

Re: JB with A-2 magnet question!

Yeah, I like mids too.

I've tried the JB2, it's pretty neat. I'd say it's actually COMPLETELY different from the stock version or the ceramic version. It's still sings, but in a different register. It's not quite as warm as the CC I don't think. It has a little more of a bite to it. But it has lots of nice mids, kinda like a hot-rodded PAF. Pretty smooth too, quite nice. Not a lot of bass, but enough.
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Is there a noticable increase in ouput between the two?

Does the JB lose some of its ouput due to the A-2 weaker magnetic field putting in the outout range of the CC?

I was going to build a 59/Custom hybrid, but i may have to build one of
      these.

Definitely something to consider.

Comment

I think it's still a little hotter than the CC. I think of it as similar to it, but a tad brighter and more articulate. If you're looking to shred, it will love you.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Try an Alnico 3 magnet in that CC, I bet you'll like it even better.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Ryan you still have any of those Alnico 3's left?

Comment

Sorry, I have both of them in my Wolfgang. You can get them for $5 at www.ampge.com. I really like the CC with an A3 magnet. It still has that CC sound to it, but the A3 magnet halps put back some of the bass and treble that the CC lacks. Of all the Custom-series pickups, I liked the CC with an A3 magnet the best.

Ryan

Comment

maybe its time for duncan to release the C4. (custom with an a3 )
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Ryan would the CC with an Alnico 3 work better than the CC for a Epi Dot bridge position? I'm just worried if I install the CC it will be too flabby. Also will it work with the Alnico Pro II neck? I guess it wouldn't matter too much as long as I could still swap magnets without gutting the entire thing again. The lead should be long enough I could swap magnets while it's still wired in right?

Comment

I think it would work better with the A3 magnet. In fact, I had both a CC/A2P and CC with A3 magnet/A2P set in my Wolfgang for a while. The difference between the A2 and A3 magnet is small, but it's still noticeable. The A3 will pull back the mids just a tiny bit, in favor of a little more bass and treble. The pickup will also be a little tighter and more articulate. As you can see from my signature, I really like A3 magnets.

Ryan

Comment

Yeah, swapping magnets is no problem, no need to undo any of the wiring. Just remove the tape around the pickup, followed by the 4 screws on the bottom of the baseplate. Slide the old magnet out, and slide the new one in. Just make sure you put the new magnet in with the poles facing the same direction as the old one. Then put the screws back in and wrap the tape around the pickup again. You may want to give it a quick zap with a hairdryer, to allow the wax to reset itself. That's probably not necessary, but I do it anyway just to be safe.

Ryan

Comment

Ryan,
                        I didn't care for the CC with an a-5. Too bright and bass too pronounced for the alder body I have it in. It the difference enough with the a-3?

I know tone is very subjective and really everyone has to try it to see what they like. The JB-A-2 seemed like a good crossover pickup to try. I like the tones alot from my CC as it is but you know the search for tone.

I was telling steve I have an old Seymourizer from the late seventies/early eighties that has alot of output but with enough warmth smoothness. I love that pickup I am trying to get close to that tone so far the CCa-2 is the closest I have found. I may try the JB experiment. Thanks to everyone for chiming in on this.

Comment

The CC with an A5 magnet is actually a Custom 5, which sounds totally different from the CC. If you like the CC, but wish it had a little less midrange and a little more bass and treble, then a CC with an A3 magnet is a good choice.

Just so no one gets confused, the Custom, Custom Custom, and Custom 5 are all the same pickup, but with different magnets. CC uses an A2, C5 uses and A5, and Custom uses a ceramic.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
                            maybe its time for duncan to release the C4. (custom with an a3 )
                            No Way! C4 = CC with an alnico 4 magnet!
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

You guys should look more into tips and clips section! Believe me you'd like it!

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                              X