Gibson P-90 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson P-90 Help

I'm messing around with the wiring on my Blueshawk, and the Gibson pickups have three wires, instead of the standard 2 on a P-90... one is yellow (ground) then there is a white one and a black one. Any clue on what is what? Thanks!

Re: Gibson P-90 Help

could be a ground wire or a coil tap, not really sure. do ya have a meter?

Comment

dd ...
      haven't messed around w/ my 'hawk myself, but try this site :

They well may have a diagram to help
      <----- another experiment in rewiring turns tragic.

Comment

Pull the yellow lead...surprise!! They're nite lights!!!

Sorry..I don't know why you'd have 3 leads on those, unless it was tapped as Jeremy said. Might be cool if they were tapped.

Comment

Gibson has schematics from its guitars in its web page. The blueshawk it is not an exceptio. Check:

Hope it helps!!

Comment

I'm not trying to put it like it is on the schematic... It was like that and I wanted to try something different. Now I'm just not sure how to wire the pickups because of this extra wire. This is all just until I get new pickups for it, then I'll probably put the VT back in, but I won't have to worry about the dummy coil, as I think I'll probably go for some mini HBs

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939
              I'm not trying to put it like it is on the schematic... It was like that and I wanted to try something different. Now I'm just not sure how to wire the pickups because of this extra wire. This is all just until I get new pickups for it, then I'll probably put the VT back in, but I won't have to worry about the dummy coil, as I think I'll probably go for some mini HBs
              The black is the hot, the white is the cold (to white of Dummy Coil) that leaves the yellow, although the colour is not indicated on the schematic itself, the *other* wire is labeled shield and it goes to ground period. The blacks are the hot outputs, the whites the colds; in the middle position the
              neck black goes to ground, it's white goes to the bridge white, and it's black goes to the RC HPF (which on *some switches* there is a position that bypasses that ), and from there out to the DPDT switch (which is not wired correctly on the gibson schematic), and on to the volume control, to the output jack. The Black wire of the dummy coil is grounded along with the black wire from the choke (which is also soldered to it's metal body), it's green wire runs to the pCB of the VT circuit.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

You just went one step forward than me...

Comment

Originally posted by mongrollo
                  You just went one step forward than me...
                  I'm just used to that schematic because of having to figure it out (like I said gibby's has an error, I don't know about the one on the blueshawk site that's drawn by one of the guys there.

Comment

So if black is hot, and yellow is ground, then what do I want to do with the white if I were to wire one pickup, one volume to jack (I'm not going to, but to simplify the idea)

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939
                      So if black is hot, and yellow is ground, then what do I want to do with the white if I were to wire one pickup, one volume to jack (I'm not going to, but to simplify the idea)
                      Go back a read my reply, what you said is incorrect ... you have a hot,a cold (ground) and a shield (always to ground). The yellow is the shield apparently (the colour is not labelled on the schematic), the black and white wires are your pups coil wires.

Comment

After further looking at an actual picture ... the yellow that you say appears to be the main ground to controls (and provides ground everywhere else), on the schematic it's colour is not listed ... it simply says ground wire ... is this waht you are talking about ... (see circle) ... the bare wires are shields for the pup conductors and such ...

Okay the pic didn't come out quite clear ... the purple writing says *pups coil wires*, the red says *shields*,the green says *main ground*, the yellow says* dummy coil black*, the white says *inductor green to varitone PCB*, the orange says *dummy coil white (all the same wire)*
                        Last edited by Kent S.; 07-15-2004, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X