banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would WARM UP the bridge position on my LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would WARM UP the bridge position on my LP?

I've got a set of 59's in my Les Paul right now. The neck sounds very good, but for some reason the bridge just isn't doing it for me. I've gone through a few pickups (stock, DiMarzio Super Distortion, now 59) but somehow the bridge always manages to sound thin. Ugh.

What would warm up the bridge and fatten it up a little bit? While still maintaining the vintage Les Paul vibe? I was thinking of taking the Screamin Demon out of my Strat (it's getting taken out soon anyways) but the Seth Lover, Pearly Gates and Custom Custom also crossed my mind. The CC particularly intrests me.

What would be a good match? With this axe I mainly play blues but also extend into Classic Rock quite a lot and sometimes metal, though my Strat covers that at the moment.

Help!

Re: What would WARM UP the bridge position on my LP?

An A2 pickup would warm it up, so I think you're on the right track thinking PG, Seth or CC. PG or Seth for vintage output, CC if you want it hotter. I've done a direct comparison of the '59 and Seth in my LPs bridge position and the Seth is definitely smoother, with more noticeable mids and/or softer top and bottom.

This might be a silly question but have you tried rolling back the tone control? I often play with my bridge tone control on about 7 these days - it warms the sound up nicely. Rolling back the volume a tad will also cut some top end. Or try playing on the middle switch position so you can blend in some of the neck pickup.

Comment

I'd say Custom Custom if you still want to go for a vintage type vibe......if you want more output though you could go with a Super Distortion....they sound great in Les Pauls IMO.

Comment

I'd recommend to do the following in that order: (BTW are you using 500K pots or 300K's)

1. Increase the pickup quite close to the strings.

2. Bury the screws into the pickup as much as necessary.

3. Wrap your strings on the tail piece.

4. Use thicker strings.

5. a. If you wanna keep that 59b: Get an a2 magnet an replace the a5 in your 59b with it.

b. If you wanna try something new: Get a Seth, or PG, or A2p for the bridge. they will be in the same ballpark with a2 59b.

c. Get a CC if you still don't like an a2 59, and think its thin.

7. If your pots are 500K replace them with 300Ks.

B
        Last edited by dr.barlo; 07-14-2004, 08:14 AM.
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I've tried rolling back the tone control - that just doesn't do it for me though. It still sounds relatively thin IMO. I play on the middle position a LOT, by the way... it's my absolute favorite! I love that gutsy, 3-dimensional sound (if that made any sense?). If there was one complaint I had about it, I'd say that it's not gutsy enough.

Dr. B - Pickups are very close to the strings. Actually they're a little too close for my liking and I'll be moving them back soon, most likely.

I haven't tried burying the screws inward though. I'll give that a shot.

I have relatively small and weak hands so I usually use 9's or 10's on my guitars, currently 10's on the LP.

Where could I get an AII magnet? And how would I replace magnets in pickups?

I'm using 500k pots. Out of curiosity, why do you recommend 300k?

I like trying new things, especially with my guitars, so all of these sound like good ideas. Thanks!

Comment

the 300k pots will warm up the sound by bleeding a little extra top end to ground.
            the doc has a good perscripton for ya. i love the pgb and a 59b with an alnico II mag is pretty similar. not sure where to get alnico II except from another pup but im sure there is some one out there that does.

Comment

Originally posted by The Don
              I've tried rolling back the tone control - that just doesn't do it for me though. It still sounds relatively thin IMO. I play on the middle position a LOT, by the way... it's my absolute favorite! I love that gutsy, 3-dimensional sound (if that made any sense?). If there was one complaint I had about it, I'd say that it's not gutsy enough.

Dr. B - Pickups are very close to the strings. Actually they're a little too close for my liking and I'll be moving them back soon, most likely.

I have relatively small and weak hands so I usually use 9's or 10's on my guitars, currently 10's on the LP.

I like trying new things, especially with my guitars, so all of these sound like good ideas. Thanks!
              You are welcome.

I don't think it would come to changing pots. Even on all the bright LPs I have come across, 500K sounded the best for getting harmonics, clear and great HB tones. But just in case you know. It's the seventh item on that list. Particularly item 5 (if not 6) should do what you want.

BTW you can get the magnets from Steven Kersting www.ampge.com $5 each. While you are at it, get some a3s as well, because on my LP I though a2 59b was too dark, lacking sparkle and all. A3 is a great magnet! And for the swapping operation, well I am here (don't mind answering pms ) and others (like the writer of the folllowing tutorial, StratDeluxe97) can help you as well. But for starts here is a tutorial (by John Spina) for you with pics and all:

Don't mind his repotting part, don't think its necessary unless you have a covered pickup. Then Lew's trick of using a masking tape inside the covers work. Anyway, try it first, if you have problems as I said shoot a pm.

B
              Last edited by dr.barlo; 07-14-2004, 10:24 AM.
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I'll give you my experience and some of this touches on Doc's thoughts.

I have a 2003 LP Standard with BB Pro pickups.

I tried 500k volumes in this guitar and it added too much of a bright edge in my opnion. Althought they work great in all off my other guitars. Even with the stock pickups and 300k volumes, my LP is still a little brighter than my friend's PRS CU22 for comparison. My LP has more bass and highs, while his guitar is heavy in mids....hence the highs stand out on mine.

I lowered the pickups quite a bit on my LP to over 3/32" bridge and 4/32" neck. I had them much closer prior to this. I also lowered the pickup pole piece screws flush with the pickups and maybe even lower.

Now it sounds perfect to my ears. I get great clarity and warmth with no noticable difference in harmonics or clarity over this same guitar with 500k volumes. Again, each guitar can be different.

Comment

I added a .001 capacitor to my Warmoth (the same used for treble-bleed circuits). I have it connected to a push-pull volume know, so when I pull up on the knob, it takes it out of circuit. It's a simple mod and seems to get rid of that excessive brightness that maple tops can sometimes have.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by The Don

how close to the strings? 1/16'" would be okay and change the mags to a2
                    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

I had the same problem.
                      I am very happy since I replaced the '59 bridge A5 magnet with an A2.
                      Refer to my "I did it" Post.

Comment

Working...
                      X