Just Got an STL-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Got an STL-2

I went to the local music store, while at lunch, to get some strings. The guy is a big Gibson, DiMarzio and Rio Grande pickup dealer. He used to deal in Duncans but has stopped for some reason. He hardly ever, nor does anyone else here for that matter, carries and Tele pickups. He had one Duncan in the showcase. It was an STL-2 Hot model for Telecaster. I offered him $40.00 for it. He accepted and I took it and my strings and walked out. I'll install it this evening and will give a review tomorrow.

Note: a while back, I had a conversation with Evan and asked him what a Jerry Donahue model would be like with Alnico 5 magnets. He told me that it would be very close to the Hot model; which he said is his favorite Tele pickup. Well, I'm finally going to get one and see what I can do with it.

Cheers,
    Last edited by BS123; 07-15-2004, 08:22 AM. Reason: The Pickup is Dead...
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Re: Just Got an STL-2

ive played a tele with a hot bridge pup. i liked it, not as snappy as a vintage model but pushed a deluxe really nicely!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
      ive played a tele with a hot bridge pup. i liked it, not as snappy as a vintage model but pushed a deluxe really nicely!!
      That's great to hear! I'm hoping that my Tele's ash body, which is really snappy and bright, as well as my right hand technique will give me the snap I need.
      -Butch Snyder
      butchsnyder.com

Comment

its got more meat than the vintage, should work well with the ash body

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
          its got more meat than the vintage, should work well with the ash body
          I'll let ya know tomorrow.
          -Butch Snyder
          butchsnyder.com

Comment

what store was that butch? just curious
            http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
            >cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by flank
              what store was that butch? just curious
              Centerville Music in Centerville, OH. However, when I got home, I found the pickup to be dead. I alwways take a reading from my multimeter and I got nothing. I put it under my jewler's magnifying glass and noticed that one of the little copper wires running to the hot wire at the base was severed. This may have been a used pickup that someone else had bought and returned. I'm taking it back tomorrow.
              -Butch Snyder
              butchsnyder.com

Comment

Bump...

Anybody ever bought a pickup only to get home and find it dead? What did you do?
                -Butch Snyder
                butchsnyder.com

Comment

Originally posted by BS123
                  Bump...

Anybody ever bought a pickup only to get home and find it dead? What did you do?
                  Sent it back to John at Black Rose Customs and he had a replacement in the mail to me before he even got the bad one. The winding looked like it had been hit several times, so I think the wire was broken somewhere inside the coil.

If the local shop won't back up the sale, you oughta' call S-D directly. With all the pickups you've purchased, they should help you out

Chip
                  Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                  Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                  Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                  SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                  SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                  "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

which side is it broken on? the side where the winding starts or the winding stops? if it's the side where the winding stops, just unwind the pickup one (1) wind, and solder it back to your start point. Wont change the sound or D.C. Resistance, but you'll ahve a working pickup. If it's on the starting side, take it back and use the cash to hit ebay, HC or Gbase for a new one.
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I took it back to the store yesterday. The owner is not a Duncan dealer so he said he couldn't get me another. I asked him waht he was going to do. He ended up giving me a refund and eating the pickup. I saw him toss it in the trash. I'll just get a JD, but in the meantime, I found an old Rio Grande Muy Grande Tele bridge pickup that I used on another Tele I used to have. I needed a pickup in there ASAP and believe it or not, the Muy Grande sounds very good. It's really big and beefy and has a not of twang. No icepick and very smooth. It does sound kind of like the JD but bigger and with better bass. Maybe I'll keep it in there

I'm getting read to buy another Fender Nahville B-Bender Tele to replace the one I idiotically sold.
                      -Butch Snyder
                      butchsnyder.com

Comment

Butch, you know how to install one of those b-benders? I was looking at 'em, and the only one that dont look impossible is the hipshot/will ray b-bender.
                        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                          Butch, you know how to install one of those b-benders? I was looking at 'em, and the only one that dont look impossible is the hipshot/will ray b-bender.
                          I wouldn't install one myself. I'm not into that. The Parsons/Green model has all the parts connected to the back plate; where as the Parsons/White model is connectedto the wood. I'm just going to buy a Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele like I used to have. A Hipshot is cool too.
                          -Butch Snyder
                          butchsnyder.com

Comment

Working...
                          X