HELP!!! Do I want the Pearly Gates???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Do I want the Pearly Gates???

I'm having a real dilemma here... I ordered a pair of EMG's, but after some deep thought about tone, I've decided I REALLY REALLY like Daron Malakian's (System of a Down) tone. I love the dark cleans, and the harmonically rich distortion he gets. And I know he uses the SD Pearly Gates in the bridge. Do you experienced forum goers know if the Pearly Gates will get me the clean and distorted SoaD tones in an Ibanez SZ, mahogany/maple top, rosewood fretboard? And also, is this pickup aggressive enough to get me old Metallica (up to AJFA), Disturbed, old Weezer (Blue Album), maybe AFI, and some other heavy distortion/sweet cleans? Should I stick with my advancing EMG 81/60?

One final question: WILL I BE ABLE TO GET PINCH HARMONICS OUT OF THIS THING EASILY? See my sig for the gear I've got, and thanks a lot for bearing with me here.
    Last edited by Metalman_666; 07-14-2004, 08:54 PM.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: HELP!!! Do I want the Pearly Gates???

I haven't used a PG, but I'll make a guess here.

You may have looked at the description on the main site, but anyway, as you probably know, the PG was modeled after Billy Gibbons' well-known Les Paul. That should give you a good idea of the tone.

here's the description from the main site:
    "The original custom Pearly Gates™ pickups were wound for the famous '59 Les Paulฎ Standard that defined the raw, rebellious sound of Texas blues rock. Essentially a variation on the Patent Applied For sound, the Pearly Gates sound is sweet, but slightly rude, with great sustain and a bright top that make harmonics jump out of the guitar."
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

yes, but Malakian gets the most rocking tones from it.... so heavy and... just... amazing... can I get those, and is it versatile?
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

he also uses a mesa boogie dual or triple rectifier

Comment

In an interview I heard him say that all his tone comes from his amps.

Comment

The PG can get plenty heavy in my Paul. It has great output, excellent cleans, great clarity for saturated rythms, and more than enough cut for leads. I use my PG set for everything from jazzy tunes, blues, 70's rock, and modern stuff like Queens of the Stone Age, Powerman 5K, STP, and Collective Soul. Let me put it to you this way, I can play a whole gig with the PG loaded Lester only.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

BTW, doesn't Malakian endorse the Marshall Mode Four?
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                he also uses a mesa boogie dual or triple rectifier
                I believe you're wrong.... doesn't he endorse the Marshall M4? And does he just use the amp as is?
                • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

I have a Pearly Gates set in my Czech Dean Caddy. The neck pickup is heaven, the bridge I am not sure about. There is just enough bass but the rest seems to be voiced towards the highs and it can get to sound thin, especially for leads. I am thinking of replacing it with a Custom but some people here have said that it is bright as well so I am not sure what I will be doing.

Comment

any tones youve heard from daron is a mesa triple rectifier and multiple gibson guitars.........hes uses the iceman live........ but he also uses stock gibson pickups as well as PGs for studio........and i think PGs only for live work.....
                    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                    >cord<
                    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Also, doesn't he use a Jackson Randy Rhoads in the studio?? Does his tone just come from the Marshall ModeFour? And does anyone know what he used to use before the MF?
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

he hasnt used a mode four on any recordings yet....im sure it will be all over the new album........but any song youve heard by SOAD is a MESA TRIPLE RECTIFIER!!!!!!.....eh.... and yes he does use a jackson, but mostly gibson guitars......
                        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                        >cord<
                        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
                          I'm having a real dilemma here... I ordered a pair of EMG's, but after some deep thought about tone, I've decided I REALLY REALLY like Daron Malakian's (System of a Down) tone. I love the dark cleans, and the harmonically rich distortion he gets. And I know he uses the SD Pearly Gates in the bridge. Do you experienced forum goers know if the Pearly Gates will get me the clean and distorted SoaD tones in an Ibanez SZ, mahogany/maple top, rosewood fretboard? And also, is this pickup aggressive enough to get me old Metallica (up to AJFA), Disturbed, old Weezer (Blue Album), maybe AFI, and some other heavy distortion/sweet cleans? Should I stick with my advancing EMG 81/60?

One final question: WILL I BE ABLE TO GET PINCH HARMONICS OUT OF THIS THING EASILY? See my sig for the gear I've got, and thanks a lot for bearing with me here.
                          i thought he used a JB?

Comment

Working...
                          X