Antiquity bridge - too bright - 500k pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity bridge - too bright - 500k pot

Running a set of Antiquity humbuckers in my Standard and I really like them but the bridge has a sort of shrill high end, if I roll off the tone a bit it sounds great. I am running 500k pots with .022 OD caps. Am I best off putting a 300k tone pot in on the bridge to tame it or should I change the volume pot to 300k and just let less pass through to the tone pot? I am assuming that changing the cap will do little for me when it is run wide open and since I would rarely if ever need the cut of a .047 I figured I'd leave the caps alone.

Any thoughts before I get out the gun?
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Re: Antiquity bridge - too bright - 500k pot

Actually, a .033 cap might be the first thing to try. It will bleed some treble to ground even at "10".

Next step would be to try a 300k tone pot - IIRC you could just put a 750k resistor across the two outside terminals on the tone pot first without replacing the pot. That will give you a bastardized 300k pot. The taper will be flatter than normal (I think), but it's a quick experiment to see if it gets you what you want.

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

It sounds like you've already answered your own question. You say when you roll off the tone a bit, it sounds great. So, why change anything? I rarely play the bridge pups on my lesters, or anything else with humbuckers with the tone on 10. It's always too thin and treble-sounding to my ears. You have the setup that most players like in a LP, with the 500K pots (I'm assuming they're audio tapers), and the .022 cap. Also, if you don't have it wired '50s-style, it's well worth trying. You'll find a wider variety of tones. Most players seem to prefer it. Work those knobs, bro. That's what they're for.
      Last edited by Tweed; 07-15-2004, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
        if I roll off the tone a bit it sounds great
        My thought is play it with the tone rolled off a bit!

Seriously, I frequently have my bridge tone knob back at 7 or less these days (Seths in LP).

When I'm adjusting my amp I set the EQ so there's enough high end that the neck pickup doesn't sound muddy. Then I use the bridge tone knob on the guitar to get the bridge pup right. It gives a nice fat tone. For rhythm playing I usually have the volume down to 7 or 8 too. If you don't have the 50s mod (I don't) backing the volume off cuts some high end too - then you get a top boost when you go flat out for a solo.

Simon

Comment

Scott,

You've played my LP CUstom with Ants. Mine isn't overly bright, except for the effect of the ebony fretboard. Does your Standard sound brighter than the Custom? If so, try adjusting the pup height. I found that makes a difference.

Jeff
          "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I roll back the tone knob on my Lester's bridge pickup too (PGb). I also use a 250k CTS pot though, and I like what it does for the tone.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks guys. I figure I could just leave it rolled back a bit, but I am a bit animated when I play and I'll never get it right. I do use the knobs quite a bit but I like to be able to run it wide open as well, just a personal quirk I guess. I didn't realize that at wide open the cap entered into the equation, easy enough to change that out.

Jeff it is definitely a bit brighter than your Custom (which was an inspiration for these pups), it isn't even so much brightness as it is very shrill at the very top end. The guitar is definitely not the issue, it is one of the most balanced guitars I ever owned, but I'll have to mess with the pup height again maybe I was too quick to change parts. Guess I am used to just swapping stuff in and out it's become a crutch.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Actually, that's exactly how I setup my LPs and amps. I do the tone for the bridge at vol 10 tone ~6-7. And when I need the extra scream in a band situation, well I turn it all the way up! And that's a very cool thing.

I say don't touch it!

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                X