• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malmsteen Strat

Hi all !

Nice to be here !

Question :

I have just started to use my Malmsteen Strat for live work - I love it to bits.....but - I need to replace the bridge single coil with something a little bit more darker sounding and with perhaps slightly more power.

I normaly use an ESP custom with a Screamin Deamon in the bridge and a Cool Rails in the neck - lovely guitar but at the moment I'm addicted to the scalloped neck, retro looks, light feel of my strat.

I don't want a humbucking sound - I want to retain that 'clangy' feel ?

What are my options if any ?

Regards,

Daz
    Last edited by eastwood; 07-15-2004, 04:58 AM.
    Soldano ROX Baby !

ESP Custom
    Malmsteen Strat
    ESP Horizon
    Esp Kammi 1
    Soladano Decatone
    Engl RB Head

Re: Malmsteen Strat

Hmm. a tough one.. let's try

All the sc-sized HBs have a certain single-coil quality to them, unless you really go high output like the Hotrails.

- dimarzio Pro Track
    - Duncan lil'59
    - Duncan Cool Rails
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

You may have to go hi-output with something like a Hot Rails. That DiMarzio HS-3 you currently have in there is a serious contendor. If you want more beef I wouldn't settle for anything other than a hi-output although your clang may suffer a bit.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

I'ld go with the Hot Rails too, even though it's a humbucker.

If you want to stay witha a single coil, try the SSL-3 Hot. Great pickup.

Jeff
        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by eastwood
          Hi all !

Nice to be here !

Question :

I have just started to use my Malmsteen Strat for live work - I love it to bits.....but - I need to replace the bridge single coil with something a little bit more darker sounding and with perhaps slightly more power.

I normaly use an ESP custom with a Screamin Deamon in the bridge and a Cool Rails in the neck - lovely guitar but at the moment I'm addicted to the scalloped neck, retro looks, light feel of my strat.

I don't want a humbucking sound - I want to retain that 'clangy' feel ?

What are my options if any ?

Regards,

Daz
          email dimarzio at [email protected]
          they answer your needs if you want to stay with a dimarzio in the YJM strat

Comment

Y'know, after reading this thread I went over to the Fender Pup Tent forum and someone else is asking almost the same question you are. And a few people recommend rewiring the existing HS-3 for a better sound with more presence. Interesting. The full thread is here.

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
              email dimarzio at [email protected]
              they answer your needs if you want to stay with a dimarzio in the YJM strat
              Yeah the YJM and HS-3 (or any of the HS series) are not high output pups at all. Then come the side by side rail pups the Crusier (neck or bridge), (technically part of the fast track series BTW).. .the Fast Track 1, the Chopper .. then you start to morph into humbuckerish territory with the Pro Track, Fast Track 2 (kinda it's own thing).
              Those are listed in order of output starting lower to higher.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Could use Duncan's pup booster pedal to add a bit more gain, with the switch that makes a single sound more like a humbucker engaged, when your in the bridge position.

Comment

Oh and I forgot about the Tone Zone S (looks the same as the fast track series) ... SD's hot stack might do you as well ... but if you want more then you'd have to go with the hot rails.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamera
                    Y'know, after reading this thread I went over to the Fender Pup Tent forum and someone else is asking almost the same question you are. And a few people recommend rewiring the existing HS-3 for a better sound with more presence. Interesting. The full thread is here.
                    Interesting, although it sounds like they are putting in in series out of phase with itself, not single coil mode as the single coil mode that EJ did with the HS-2 killed off one coil I believe ... i'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure ... meantime it would be worth trying.

Comment

Try the Virtual Vintage Solo pickup. Definatley darker than the HS-3, but with a marked strat flavour.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                        Try the Virtual Vintage Solo pickup. Definatley darker than the HS-3, but with a marked strat flavour.
                        I forgot about the V.V. series the Solo ... I don't think they Heavy Blues would do him though ... but the Solo might ...cool.

Comment

I had one at the bridge position of my MIJ strat and it matched the output of the Fast Track 1 I had there, but it did have more snap, and blended better with the Virtual Vintage 54 in the mid position.
                          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                            I had one at the bridge position of my MIJ strat and it matched the output of the Fast Track 1 I had there, but it did have more snap, and blended better with the Virtual Vintage 54 in the mid position.
                            I know it's ... ...But, if you wanna have some fun grab a MultiBucker and toss it in a humbucker guitar (it's a Fast Track 1 and a Chopper side by side in a humbucker cover) ... really cool pup, a total of six tones (all hum-cancelling).

Comment

A Seymour Duncan Antiquity Custom bridge pup may do what you want it to.

Comment

Working...
                              X