Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 59 model humbuckers please

Hi i'm Nick from England'
    I bought 2 '59 model hubuckers...model no. SH-1n and SH-1b and fitted them on my 335.However i've noticed that the adjustable polepieces on both pick-ups are at the rear of each pick-up(towards the bridge).I fitted both pick-ups with the output lead facing downwards.
    Is this normal or do I in fact have either two neck pick-ups or two bridge pick-ups.Please help... i'm a bit confused !!.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Nick

Re: Help with 59 model humbuckers please

Originally posted by Nick Roberts
    Hi i'm Nick from England'
    I bought 2 '59 model hubuckers...model no. SH-1n and SH-1b and fitted them on my 335.However i've noticed that the adjustable polepieces on both pick-ups are at the rear of each pick-up(towards the bridge).I fitted both pick-ups with the output lead facing downwards.
    Is this normal or do I in fact have either two neck pick-ups or two bridge pick-ups.Please help... i'm a bit confused !!.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Nick
    you are fine, what you do is turn the 59n around with the lead at the top so the screws are closer to the neck.
    you can however use a neck pup with the screws toward the bridge. if you choose?
    traditionally you flip the pup around so the screws are closer to the neck.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Nick.

As long as the labels on your pickups indicate they are neck and bridge models you have the right pickups.

You should mount the neck pickup with the output lead facing upwards.

Originally (i.e. the old Gibson days) there was no distinction between bridge and neck model humbuckers - you just mounted them different ways to get the adjustable polepieces on the outsides. The only difference between neck and bridge model '59s is that the bridge model is wound a little hotter. The output lead always exits at the same place.

Simon

Comment

Yeah. It's upside down. Turn it.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Hi Nick; welcome to the forum, and welcome to the small, but growing, dual '59 crowd.

If you look at this typical SD schematic, notice how they have the neck cable "turned around".

So how do you like your 59's in the 335?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...tone_3way.html

Comment

Welcome Nick! Yes, I belive that I may join this dual 59' club also. Please excuse me for butting in with a question of my own: Will the 59 bridge gives me back the mids that I am missing in the C-5 while retaining that beautiful open sound that I might be losing by going with a JB? Thanks guy's
            "Play like a Champion"
            PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
            Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
            Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu
              Welcome Nick! Yes, I belive that I may join this dual 59' club also. Please excuse me for butting in with a question of my own: Will the 59 bridge gives me back the mids that I am missing in the C-5 while retaining that beautiful open sound that I might be losing by going with a JB? Thanks guy's
              Hi sonnyblu; Thats what I did. That is, replace a C5 with the 59b. Keep in mind, this is with a solid body, Kahler Flyer bridge, with locking nut, which will probably be different than how it affects a semi-hollow body like a 335.

But anyway, when I switched to the bridge position with the C5, I immediately thought - "country". It was a very definite country "twang", which isn't what I wanted. The 59b takes me closer to the mellower, "jazzy" tone that I wanted.

Comment

Yeah, thanks Artie, right the C-5 is like a QP Tele or something, it's great for rythm even in rock, but not leads. I was heading for a JB again.... I had one many moons ago.... But now I notice all these players using Tom Holmes and Lidy Fralin and stuff like that. Well that's just what the '59 is, but you can afford it! Nice open even tone. Ok thanks! Anyone want to buy a brand new C-5? Ha! just used on 4 gigs.......
                "Play like a Champion"
                PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
                Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
                Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Working...
                X