Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which humbucker do I need

hello,

I 've just bought myself an epiphone les paul standard, but I 've read that the humbuckers on the guitar aren't that good so, I 've decided to put some seymour duncans on it, but I don't know what to put on it. I want a really heavy sound for playing heavy metal and stuff like metallica, but also want a very clean sound like slash, and for solo's I also want that warm smooth sound like slash. I was thinking of getting APH 1's, those are the same like slash but I thing that they aren't heavy enough, so can anyone help me with choosing the right combo please?
    www.myspace.com/rollef
    www.myspace.com/wheredeathlies

Re: which humbucker do I need

Welcome to the forum. Lots to learn here....

OK - we would need to know your budget and what amp you're playing through, with what effects, to really direct you well...

However, without knowing any of that, my advice is to go with a lower output pup like a AP2. You can always goose the front of an amp with an OD pedal, whereas you can't bring down the output of a high output pup like a Distortion...I play AP2s in a Gibson Les Paul Standard through a Marshall JMP or JCM800 and you can get it to really distort nicely, but can get a really nice clean sound as well

Just my 2cents...
    'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

thx for the advise.

I 'm playing on a marshall MG 100DFX, and use a BOSS metal zone 2 for the distortion.
      as for my budget I think I can spare about 150$.
      I 'll be sure to try out the AP2.
      www.myspace.com/rollef
      www.myspace.com/wheredeathlies

Comment

From the sound of the rig you have you're going for all out thrash?

OK - you won't get the true benefit of low output pups through an MG series Marshall. You really need a nice tube amp to bring ou that smooth 'honk' that they have (if you know Slash you'll know what I mean by 'honk')...

If you're a metal guy, then really your high output pups are the go...Custom Customs, Distortions, JB's, Screaming Deamons etc etc

However, if you're thinking Slash, then definately go low output with preferably an alnico 2 magnet in the pup, and at some stage you will have to consider a good tube amp, preferably a JCM800 or similar if you're thinking Slash...
        'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Working...
        X