NewB output question: JB vs. Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewB output question: JB vs. Jazz

I recently bought a PRS clone (one of these ) and at some point will probably do a pickup upgrade (pupgrade?). Mahogany body, maple cap, rosewood board, standard Tune-O-Matic bridge.

I do not play metal or anything approaching it due to the fact that noise that loud and piercing makes me want to hit myself in the face with a sledge hammer just to make it stop ...apologies to you headbangers out there, but it's not my thing. More like blues, blues-based rock, jazz-based rock, maybe jam-band stuff. Clapton, Eagles, Steely Dan...maybe even some rockabilly....

I intend to put a coil tap on the neck pickup to get some bluesy single-coil tones when appropriate. (Actually I was originally intending to get a Strat, but this guitar was way too good a deal.)

This guitar has one volume, one tone and a 3-way selector.

Having used the Tone Wizard and listened to some samples, the recommended "Seymour's favorite" combo of a Jazz in the neck position and a JB in the bridge position sounds appealing.

However, I'm concerned that if I split the coil on the neck pickup, the bridge will completely overpower it...I know that if you split coils on a humbucker you get a single-coil and therefore lose some output.

I don't have the ability to control volume on the two pickups separately.

Is this a valid concern? Would using a tamer bridge pickup (e.g. a '59) be a better way to go? (I'm assuming I'm reading things right and the JB is a hotter pickup than the '59.)

TIA for your input.

Re: NewB output question: JB vs. Jazz

very nice guitar, man...even better price. i can't tell you what you are asking for but i know the jb sounds spectacular and it sounds very strat like when split. don't know much about the jazz though. everyone raves about it so i think you're in the clear. my question to you ....

HOW DOES IT PLAY? seeing your post is making me seriously want that guitar.

skyydogg
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

well, the JB would overpower the jazz split.....but you could lower the JB and raise the jazz accordingly so that you get balance in all positions, whether jazz is split or not........ and if it somehow doesnt work out........you could sell the JB and get another pup........ im thinkin a Custom 5 would be cool for the bridge, its like a 59 but more bass and more power, but its not quite as powerful as the JB.....

i think you should look into a Custom 5/Jazz combo.......... but more importantly, what are the characteristics of the guitar (bright, dark?)......and what amp are you using?
      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
      >cord<
      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Stay in the low/vintage ouput department. A pair of '59s always do wonder in imported guitars. You could also try some Alnico II Pro's.
        Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I think the idea of lowering and raising the pickups is a really good one. Give that a shot.
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Pg set does wonders in a blues based environment. Split both the neck and bridge and get a really cool clean sound.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
              I think the idea of lowering and raising the pickups is a really good one. Give that a shot.
              it's a good idea in theory... but with both of my JB's they don't sound nearly as good if they aren't right up with the strings. so for that reason i wouldn't recommend getting one for what you want to do
              boreddddddddddd

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01
                very nice guitar, man...even better price. my question to you ....

HOW DOES IT PLAY? seeing your post is making me seriously want that guitar.

skyydogg
                Plays great, now...I got it off of the scratch/dent/demo rack at Rondo for... get this... $161!!!! It was not set up at all...the neck had a reverse bow (!) to it. But it looked unwarped and the frets were even, so I took a chance. Got it home, did a trussrod adjustment, bridge adjustment and intonation, and it's fine now.

None of the guitars in the Rondo retail store are very well set up...I think they just pull them out of the boxes and hang them on the wall. If you can see past that, though, they're a great value.

Comment

Working...
                X