banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to FATTEN up a Strat that already has 3 full-sized humbuckers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to FATTEN up a Strat that already has 3 full-sized humbuckers!

Awhile back I decided to put 3 full sized humbuckers in my American Strat. While at first I liked it (it was my first experience with humbucking pickups), the novelty has worn off. I got to jam with both of my guitars (Strat, LP Custom) yesterday at really high volumes and I think I have an idea of what I'm looking for now...

I have a TB-5 Custom in the Strat's bridge. It's raw, aggressive, and pretty ballsy. But, even with my amp's treble on 3, it's WAY too trebly for my liking and rather thin compared to the pickup I have in the neck ... a full size JB. The JB sounds fantastic, it's very hard to make it muddy (even with gain cranked up!) and it has a unique sound. It's so fat that it makes the Custom look anemic, and that's a problem when switching from a fat lead to [what's supposed to be] crushing rhythm.

What can possibly fatten the bridge position up? I thought of a Custom Custom, but I'm concerned that it won't be tight enough, as I do a lot of palm muting with this particular axe. I thought of an Invader but I'm on the fence regarding that; the ideal pickup seems to be the DiMarzio Tone Zone. I'm not all that impressed with ceramic magnets.

I'm also pondering getting a single-coil pickup put in the middle position for more versatility.

Maybe Strat's just aren't the guitar for metal, especially when you're looking for a real fat sound. It's either I fatten my bridge up, or this guitar's going to get completely renovated with a set of Antiquity's!
    Last edited by The Don; 07-17-2004, 10:32 AM.

Re: How to FATTEN up a Strat that already has 3 full-sized huumbuckers!

An Invader is good in a strat. Before you let it go, give that a go.

Remember Maiden plays strats

And for the middle pickup - a Hot Rails would be wicked... I think?
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Very true about Iron Maiden ...

Hot rails might work, but I think that's MORE output than I have in there right now - a Screamin Demon! I was thinking more along the lines of a QP or a Cool Rails....

Comment

Hey Don,

Haven't tried the Screamin' Demon or the Quarter Pounder - but I have the Cool Rails in the neck of my Pac.. with a DD in the bridge. I absolutely LOVE the sound of the CR, the notes are so smooth and they run with each other, and they don't do a bad clean either. The DD just serves as my balls-to-the-wall riffing pickup, everything else I leave to the CR.

Hope it helps!

(Btw, in the tips and clips forum there are sound samples of the Antiquity singles cheers to Curly)
        Originally posted by Kanye West
        Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I would go for an Invader as well. I'm not a big fan of singles for harder rock and metal. Personally, I would just run the JB at the neck and the Invader at the bridge, and use a Megaswitch Model P (stewmac.com) to get the same switching options as on a PRS rotary.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

if you want crushing rhythm, it seems to me a Distortion is right for that....
            http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
            >cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

The thing is, the Custom I found to be too trebly in this guitar. So I'm looking for something with less treble.

What about the Tone Zone? Anyone?

I was going to get a push/push pot to split the JB, I do want a bit of versatility here. A single coil in the middle would give me a nice clean sound.

Then again I could keep my pickguard and also split the middle humbucker too. Or I could opt to have no middle pickup at all. AHHHHH.

Comment

Working...
              X