which p-90 if any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which p-90 if any

k, set up right now - fender telecaster hh blackout (pearly gate neck, 59 bridge, basswood body, rosewood fingerboard)

i really like the pearly gate, good for clean stuff, and distorted lead lines, and while the 59 is good too, i wanted something that sounded more like a les paul (studio for example) neck pickup sound, something with a little more low end/low mid & punchy under heavy distortion. The 59 also makes my mid position useless, cuz of the whole reverse polarity thing, so i guess it'd be nice to get one that would give me a nice mid sound too, but I'm more concerned with the sound with only the bridge pickup

So which p-90 would give me that les paul neck sound in the bridge position of a basswood bodied tele? Or would i be better off with a different pup?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: which p-90 if any

Well, you can't use a regular P-90 in your guitar without doing some routing, as P-90's are skinnier and longer than humbuckers. Duncan does make Phat Cats, which are P-90's in humbucker size, but I'm not sure what specs they wind them to, or if you can choose.

Comment

Phat cat dude! Find some clips of them, someone on this board did them a while ago and they sound absolutely awesome.
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

is everyone taking the bodywood & such into consideration?

Comment

Soundwise, Basswood has a nice, warm tone.
          -Warmoth Website
          The Phat Cat is described as having "Enhanced upper-mids for extra cut" and having an EQ of 4/6/7 (L/M/H) So I would think with the slightly warmer tone of the basswood, with a rosewood fretboard (warmer, too) paired with a brighter, punchier kind of pickup like a P-90 based job, you'd end up with a really nice tone. You can't really expect for the bridge of a Tele, regardless of the wood, to sound like the neck of a Paul. It just doesn't work like that. To come closer, you'll want a fatter, warmer humbucker... maybe a CC, A2P, or PGb. That's not to say that a Phat Cat wouldn't sound really good in that spot... it's just kind of going the wrong direction as far as finding the fatter, rounder tone you're looking for.

Comment

don't abbreviate, it confuses my fragile mind

Comment

Relative levels of the Phat Cat - Lows-4 Mids-6 Highs-7 (from the duncan website)
              Other Pickups: CC = Custom Custom A2P = Alnico 2 Pro PG = Pearly Gates

Comment

Working...
              X