Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some more advice

hi everyone,

I 'm not that experienced yet in setting up my guitar and so. and recentlyI asked if i wanted a "slash" sound which pup do I need. I got the reply that I should go for de alnico II's. now, I 've been reading some threads and read something about putting an alnico II on the bridge and a custom 5 in the neck. now, what would be the difference between only putting alnico II's on my les paul and the combination of the alnico II and the custom 5?
    www.myspace.com/rollef
    www.myspace.com/wheredeathlies

Re: need some more advice

Well, slash uses the APh-1's in his main guitar and in his sig Gibson.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

The APH-IIs are what Slash is reported to use in his LP, so if you like his tone thats a good place to start. Having a tube amp (preferrably a Marshall) will get you even closer.

I don't know where you read that an APH-II in the bridge and a C-5 in the neck is a good idea but I don't recommend it. The C-5 in the neck may sound good (may not as well, never tried it) but you will run into some serious balance problems with an 8k nridge pickup and a 14k+ pickup in the neck.

A C-5 in the bridge and an APH-II in the neck is a far better way to go.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

ooops, you are right, it was the C-5 in the bridge and the aphII in the neck. I mixed it up.
        www.myspace.com/rollef
        www.myspace.com/wheredeathlies

Comment

Originally posted by shark
          hi everyone,

I 'm not that experienced yet in setting up my guitar and so. and recentlyI asked if i wanted a "slash" sound which pup do I need. I got the reply that I should go for de alnico II's. now, I 've been reading some threads and read something about putting an alnico II on the bridge and a custom 5 in the neck. now, what would be the difference between only putting alnico II's on my les paul and the combination of the alnico II and the custom 5?
          Slash has been using the APH-1 Alnico Pro neck and bridge since a long time. I seems this it is the best way to get his tone. He has a Gibson signature model that comes stock with this pickups. Just check:

The custom 5 it is a high output humbucker (designed for being used in the bridge) while APH-1 Alnico Pro are low output humbucker. Ussually people puts the highest output pickup in the bridge and the lowest in the neck. This is because the string vibration near bridge is smaller than in the fretboards end. Because of this if you have the same pickup in both positions the neck one will have a higher volume than the bridge one.

The neck and bridge model of APH-1 comes calibrated having the bridge a slightly higher output to compensate this loss of volume.

SOOO.. If you put a Custom 5 in the neck and a APH-1 in the bridge will have a very unballance volume betewen both. The neck will be very loud and the brigde will have a vintage output.

Hope you have undestood something... Sometimes I get complicated...

Comment

When I stated to write there weren't any answer.

Comment

Working...
            X