banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone agree or disagree with not using ceramics with ebony fingerboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone agree or disagree with not using ceramics with ebony fingerboards?

I was wondering if anyone breaks this "rule" and why seymour suggests it.

Re: Does anyone agree or disagree with not using ceramics with ebony fingerboards?

ace frehley and al dimeola use dimarzio super distortions on their les paul customs.
    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Re: Does anyone agree or disagree with not using ceramics with ebony fingerboards?

I don't have an issue with ceramics....it's the pickups with even a healthy dose of top end that cause me problems...JB, Custom, Distortion....I tend to like darker pickups in those guitars or at least ones with the treble cut back a bit....Super3, Super Distortion, etc..

Comment

I think that's a pretty general rule, as are the rest of the magnet suggestions on that page. It seems to me like trial and error really is the way to go, that information is just there as a starting point. Some ceramics will work with ebony boards, but others will be harsh. Nature of the beast.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

All rules are made to be broken, just don't be suprised if things don't quite work out.

I have used ceramics with ebony as well as pau ferro and it worked out fine. Alot depends on the rest of your rig.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
            All rules are made to be broken, just don't be suprised if things don't quite work out.

I have used ceramics with ebony as well as pau ferro and it worked out fine. Alot depends on the rest of your rig.
            It also depends on the design of the pickup. Ceramics do not have to be harsh pickups or high output either. Remember, all a magnet does is provide a magnetic field. Certainly, given identically designed pickups different magnets will sound different. But by the same token, just one type of magnet with different pickup designs will have as many different sounds as well.

For a prime example of this consider Bill Lawrence pickups. BL makes some of the sweetest sounding pickups using ceramic magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by JCOURTJR
              I was wondering if anyone breaks this "rule" and why seymour suggests it.
              WHAT??? When did this happen? Have I been playing and building faulty guitars for the last 12 years??? Why didnīt anyone tell Mustaine or Randy Rhoads?

Use what sounds good, thatīs what matters
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                WHAT??? When did this happen? Have I been playing and building faulty guitars for the last 12 years???
                Kinda a shock aint it?
                This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I have used a Duncan Distortion and Gibson 500T in my LP Gothic and both worked very well, they never sounded harsh or ice-picky. I Seymour Duncan meant not using ceramics with ebony as a suggestion more than rule. Not every guitar is the same, even when built with the same woods. You got to try it for yourself.
                  CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
                  2012 Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (Mojotone '72 Clone WRHB set)
                  2017 Balaguer Scumden (SD PG set)
                  2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90s)

Jet City JCA50H
                  Avatar Signature 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks
                  lots 'o pedals

Comment

Working...
                  X