Bridge pup for all mahogany body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pup for all mahogany body

Im looking for a pickup that will go well in the bridge of a PRS Santana SE.
    I would imagine that since the body and neck are mahogany(without a maple cap) that the pickups would react in a similar way as they would in an SG. (I understand that these two are not the same, i just figure that more people own SGs than Santana SE's!)

I generally play rock and a few bands that tonewise i am roughly aiming for are the darkness, sum 41 (the older stuff), incubus, grinspoon, and pacifier.

I have heard how good JB's sound in LP's but i am not sure how they would sound in the thinner all mahogany body of the Santana SE.

From my research the Rio Grande BBQ sounds like what i need but since they don't have a dealer in Australia, this may be hard to buy.

The third pickup i am considering is the custom, though i am going to put one of these into an LP copy that i have already and im not sure if i should get the same pickup for two guitars.

I am totally open to suggestions so if anyone has any, im all ears!
    Sorry for the long post and its kind of all over the place!
    Nick
    Last edited by funkywrench; 07-18-2004, 07:50 AM.
    "Beware his song about big butts...it hurts man!"

Re: Bridge pup for all mahogany body

The Dimebucker sounds killer in PRS guitars and would be a nice, hotter compliment to a Custom in a LP.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I have a Duncan Distortion in my SG and that's all mahogany. Sounds great to me for heavier styles of music. I never played a PRS SE so YMMV.

Comment

i have a santana se that i am planning to do a pickup swap in too. i am also curious to hear suggestions. -kevin
        "in this day & age...music performed by humans...hum!?" - wilde silas tomkyn

Comment

I like the Custom a lot in an all mahogany body. You might also try the C5 for a slightly different twist on the Custom theme.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I have a PRS Santana se with the custom in the bridge it is farily balanced with a bit more treble, to me its quite a growly pickup in the lows and mids thats what gives it its aggressive tone. It cuts thru nicely in the mix, has enough power its not a very smooth pickup though due to the ceramic mag, but it does nail sum41 and the Darkness tones very well, At one stage i was playing to those cds (permission to land, and all killer no filler) using a marshall pedal and It sounded just like it. The mids kind of remind me of a pacifiers sound where they use mesa boogie double rectifiers.
            Its got that sort of nice hard rock, in your face stadium kind of sound. If you want something smoother and with more mids i think the Custom Custom would do it better. From the sound clips the JB sounds real nasally in the mids and quite shrilly like the screamin demon(my least fav pickup). The lack of smoothness Is leading me to change it. Now I want something fatter and smoother with more mids, and less treble but can get aggressive when needed, instead of all the time.
            PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
            1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
            Blackstar HT-5
            2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
            Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Its taken me ages to find a bridge pup that I like in a mahogany guitar (I own an sg as well) That position tends to be always to bright for my taste but when i find one I like Ill let u know. If youve got a tremelo version you might need to get an f-spaced version, cause the poll pieces wont line up, But if you cant get one you cant really tell the difference anyway.
              Last edited by Dills; 07-18-2004, 04:10 PM.
              PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
              1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
              Blackstar HT-5
              2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
              Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I have a C5 in my SG, and it's a great pickup, IMO. Hot enough to do heavier rock and some metal, but not too hot to do more vintage stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
                  I probably wont go for the heavier styles of pickups(such as the dimebucker and distortion), since i will probably cover the heavier side of things with the custom in the LP copy i have.
                  Does anyone have any experience with a Rio Grande BBQ in an all mahogany guitar? Ive read a heap of great reviews for the BBQ but a lot of these are in Les Pauls.
                  "Beware his song about big butts...it hurts man!"

Comment

Never tried one, but what about the Full Shred? It hasn't got too high of an output, but still would fit well in mahogany because of the highs and less bass?
                    Originally posted by Kanye West
                    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Working...
                    X