banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Neck have more output than the Bridge p/up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Neck have more output than the Bridge p/up?

I was thinking of a HSS Strat with Hot Rails in the neck and middle, and a Pearly Gates at the bridge.

The Hot Rails neck is 10k, and the Pearly Gates bridge is 8k.

I've heard that you need to have a lower output in the neck because the string vibrations are more intense in that region.

Will there be much of a difference?

It could possibly serve as a boost when you go to solo - which is what the neck pickup is usually used for, isn't it?

Please help!
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Re: Can the Neck have more output than the Bridge p/up?

You can do wtf you want. But i'd recommend using a lower output PU in the neck.
    Or a higher output one in the bridge. JB maybe? <Wow, that rhymed...
    "Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
    "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

Dave Murray's strat sig model has hot rail in the neck & middle position with the JB Jr in the bridge, which I never understood the reasoning, would seem to be backwards from what you'd want, Hot rails bridge and JB JR in neck/mid.

Anything is possible... How useable it is, is another question.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
        Anything is possible... How useable it is, is another question.

I agree. You will find yourself doing complicated things to go from one selection to another. Easiest things are more widespread for one thing, are more useable. Just check telecasters, les paul... they are easy to use.

Comment

hmm a les paul has too many controlls for me , im a fan of a master volume and tone... ok you cant get as nice inbetween sounds but i'd rather have fast control over my guitar.

as for the question - it'd work yeah, the difference isn't that huge, and you could always lower the neck pup and raise the bridge.

some of the vigiers come stock 85 (bridge) 81 neck, and the 81 is much hotter, surely they cant be far wrong? im also 50% sure a wolfgang has a hotter neck pup.
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
            I've heard that you need to have a lower output in the neck because the string vibrations are more intense in that region.
            This is true.

Originally posted by Rainmaker
            The Hot Rails neck is 10k, and the Pearly Gates bridge is 8k.
            Remember, you should only compare d.c. resistances of pickups that are of the same type, e.g., full-size humbuckers to full-size humbuckers, or rails to rail; not across broad categories.

In fact, (I'm not 100% sure of this, but...) I believe you'll find the full size Pearly Gates bridge to have more output than the Hot Rails neck.

I hope that helps.
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Working...
            X