What pickup for a made LP set neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickup for a made LP set neck?

Hi folks.. I'm making myself an LP guitar that I've always wanted, but couldn't buy because of the extreme expense. This guitar is going to be an LP JR reall, but with different wood.. All Mahogany body with no maple cap, flammed maple or birdseye maple neck and ebony board. String thru the body TOM bridge. I'm only going to put one pickup in this guitar, so I want this pickup to have that sound that I'm after which is the quintessential PAF sound.. The sound that I hear when I listen to Thin Lizzy Live 2000 with John Sykes.. I love Sykes tone on that CD. Something bluesy that will work with a good amp such as a Plexi Marshall or Fender Twin, etc.. that is cranked or used with some good pedals.. mostly delay, and overdrive for boost during lead and wah wah.. That's the only effects I'll personally use.. Ok, I'm thinking of the 59 bridge mounted directly to the body or the Pearly Gates? What you think? I'm thinking that the 59 will give me that tone I'm after and I'll let the amp do the rest... Any opinions? The only thing that might end up different is the neck might end up with a rosewood board instead of ebony if I keep hearing research that says ebony cracks to easy and looses frets too easy.. Otherwise I'll stick with it as I like it's denseness and I want the ebony and maple neck to offset some of the mahogany bodies more midrangey sound.. etc..

Thanks a bunch
    Tim

Thanks
    Tim
    Tim..

Re: What pickup for a made LP set neck?

59 will sound good in it. Are you going with a 24.75" scale?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Hi Benji..

Yeah, it's going to have a Gibson Scale.. It will be with a Flamed maple all raw neck and mahogany body.. One bridge pup and one volume no tone.. Can't wait to play it..hehe.. Going to go thru a Marshall Plexi probably or Laney or Fender Twin or something like that for blues and blues rock.. Don't know yet, but probably a Plexi.

Tim

Originally posted by Benjy_26
      59 will sound good in it. Are you going with a 24.75" scale?
      Tim..

Comment

Sounds like a fun axe. Post pics when you're finished.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
        X