single coil spaced humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single coil spaced humbuckers

I have a Squier Strat, and i plan on changing the bridge puickup. I have the basic Strat tremolo, which i use a lot, and I am looking at single coil size humbuckers. I play all types of rock, and also funk and reggae, but I really play mostly everything. I need something with good sustain, and can produce a clean tone and also sounds good with distortion. Im not sure what wood my guitar is made of, although i think it is agathis. I plan on leaving the other pickups alone for now.

Re: single coil spaced humbuckers

I've used both the Lil 59' and the Lil Demon. I prefered the 59'. It was a little more balanced, and had a better clean sound. The Demon was too bright for my taste. I did have a slight balance problem with both when switching to the singles, but I imagine that could be worked out with a little height tinkering.

The JB Jr gets good marks...just haven't tried that one. I liked the Lil 59'.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

i was watching the Toadies- Possum Kingdom video, and i noticed the guitarist with the strat had a rail pickup in the bridge..... could that be the cool rails?

Comment

Cool Rails....Hot Rails...Vintage Rails...could be any of them.

I don't have any experience with the rails pups, but it seems that most recommend the Hot Rails in the bridge or neck position, and cool rails in neck or mid, same with Vintage...neck or mid.

I'm sure they can be used in any position you'd like...but if you saw a SD rails in the bridge...I'd hazard a guess that it was a hot rails.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

If I got the hot rails for the bridge, would they be too hot for my other pickups? Thats one reason why i was lookin at the cool rails. the hot rails seem great for what i need them for, but I'm just not sure how well they will mix with my other pickups.

Comment

cool/cool/hot is a good setup.
            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

thanks u guys............ now that were on hot rails, what does anyone think about the dincan performer scorcher? its a good deal, but im not sure how good the pickup is.

Comment

anyone?

Comment

the scorchers is ok, it's a little hotter than a hotrails. But, you dont get the same quality control. You could get something you love, you could get something that you hate.
                  This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

i think the scorcher is a fine pup, the cleans on a hot rail are only ok and im assuming that the scorcher is gonna be worse since its hotter.
                    i think either a lil 59 or cool rails is a better choice for you. funk and reggae need a nice clean tone and youll get a nice rock sound with distortion.

i think the reason you see so many people using hot rails is that they want more output and crunch. with a pair of cool rails in the neck and middle it makes sense to use a hotter heavier pup like the hot rails in the bridge

Comment

allright......thanks

Comment

I like the 'Lil '59 models, personally. You just have to take the plunge sometimes and find-out which pickup sounds best in your guitar. One can sound great in one guitar and awful in another because of the acoustic properties of the guitar. IMHO, that's why you see so many varied opinions about the same pickups. YMMV.
                        Parker Fly Deluxe Hardtail
                        Fender MIJ 50's Reissue
                        Fender American Standard Strat
                        Fender Amercian Standard Tele
                        Custom Mahogany Strat Style
                        (w/ Duncan SSL-2, SSL-1, and 'Lil '59)
                        Ibanez AS-200
                        Carvin Bolt Hardtail

Comment

ok koo... thanks

Comment