banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'59/Custom Hybrid...What combination do you like best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59/Custom Hybrid...What combination do you like best?

I did a search regarding the '59/Custom hybrid and only one person mentioned the coil preference.

So what do you prefer?

'59 screw side / Custom slug side?

or

Custom screw side / '59 slug side?

Alnico 2 or 5 ?

Discuss

Re: '59/Custom Hybrid...What combination do you like best?

I prefer the Custom SLUG if I am splitting the pickup since it is farther away from the bridge and therefore... warmer sounding...
    A2/A5 depends on the particular guitar and if you want a soft or more aggressive attack...
    GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Yep..If you are going to split this pickup you have to use the 7k slug bobbin coil...That's how I've been doing it...Thanks again and always to Pete (Bachtorock)for sharing this with us...

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
        I prefer the Custom SLUG if I am splitting the pickup since it is farther away from the bridge and therefore... warmer sounding...
        A2/A5 depends on the particular guitar and if you want a soft or more aggressive attack...
        I have an EBMM Axis Super Sport with a vintage trem (blocked, of course).

This trem actually has less bass & treble than my Floyd Equipped Axis, however, produces a "less-toothy" attack, which I like.

I'm wondering if I could get away with an A5 Hybrid in this guitar. I hate the sound of the stock Axis pickups in EITHER of my Axis guitars. Too "big" sounding, too muffled, and not enough treble, in spite of the Floyd's toothieness.

However, I don't want it to mud-out if I were to select an A2. I have no doubts the A2 would be fine in a Floyd-equipped guitar, but I'm talking about my vintage trem here.

What are your thoughts?

Some of the tones I've heard, sound agressive in SPITE of "only" using an A2, which concerns me. I LOATHE the sound of the EVH, for instance, although admittedly, most of the clips I've heard were played through Floyd guitars. I also feel that VHaholic's clips, while professional, sound too much like the thinner "Hot For Teacher" tone, which is too crisp for my tastes.

I'd probably be happy with a couple different tones. I like the outro in "Drop Dead Legs", for instance. Not too mushy, not to brittle. What do you think would be good for my Axis SS, the one with the vintage trem?

Comment

I would do the Hybrid with an A5 magnet... The A2 tends to have a "softer" bass and treble...
          GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

BTR, have you done a C/JB hybrid?
            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I have not... I prefer the Dynamics & Lack of Compression of the 42 & 43 guage coils... the JB is wound with 44 guage which yields a bit too much of a compressed sound for my ears... obviously not that bad considering I do have a JB in one of my approx. 35 guitars(lost count)!
              The Custom/59 Hybrid is just the perfect ratio of pure Vintage tone and the strength of a Punchy pickup that makes an amp sound it's best... the output and tone also blends perfectly with a traditional neck pickup...
              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Working...
              X